Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: mother and daughter

Real Name
    David Owings

mother and daughter

My wife and baby girl. Not sure how good of a photo this is but am in love with the subjectsmother and daughter

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: mother and daughter

David - Lovely to see them. Thanks for posting it up.

In terms of its photographic merits, you say you're not sure how good an image it is. If this was someone else's and you were being asked to give an appraisal of it, what would you say? It's a good way of thinking about an image and your assessment of it.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by guitar195a View Post
    Not sure how good of a photo this is but am in love with the subjects
    If you ask me, David (and nobody did!), that makes it a great photo!

Real Name
    Richard

I really think that you might have shown your wife and daughter a little better if you had moved a bit to your right, thus eliminating the tree which divides your image in thirds. You would have captured a better view of your daughter's face also. Shooting images of loved ones is (IMO) sometimes difficult in that we are often so interested in and so much in love with our subjects, we sometimes don't pay attention to the rest of the image...

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi David,

While I agree with Richard's suggestion, we have what we have, and to simplify the shot and increase the emphasis on your loved ones, a simple crop which removes a thin strip on the right and a much wider are on the left is needed. Basically you just want the bit where they are in front of the background wall and remove what is either side of that.

I was having trouble describing, so I did it;

mother and daughter

Cropped, as above, but I also took a bit off the top to get your wife's face and hands as near as I could to the top left and bottom right thirds.
    Selectively "burned" a few over exposed areas (the shot is quite over exposed)
    Increased the greys point in Levels to give more detail in subject
    Desaturated the worst of the Lateral Chromatic Abberation (just on the red edge on left of tree trunk)
    Sahrpened with USM at 100%, 0.3px radius and 3 threshold.

After posting, I still didn't like the bright area to left of tree, so here is a bit more shaved off;
    mother and daughter

It captures a special moment in your life which will soon have passed, so it is a great shot, despite any technical issues.

Hope that helps,