Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Playin with B&W

Real Name
    Jon

Playin with B&W

Comments are always welcome, that is how I learn the most.
    These sleepers just caught my eye today, I had to play along.
    Playin with B&W
    Playin with B&W
    These were taken awhile ago. I am at this cabin every 6 months, I just looked at it differently.
    Playin with B&W
    Playin with B&W

Re: Playin with B&W

Jon, the last two shots, I like the angle of the third shot it adds interest to a plain scene, which is emphasized in the 4th photo. The metal roof is very powerful perhaps blown out? I think colors would tell more of a story, the pine slats turning from nice ambers to gray/black. Perhaps some early spring colors in the grass on the original? Ok not that I hit those, back to the first two. I am having a hard time grasping what you were trying to capture. I like the textures of the ends of the ???Railroad ties??? I was looking them over since you posted, I like the details with the stamps and the mill cuts, and how they have split in different ways, but it does seem a bit much to take in. You have also added elements that distract me, the log with the tacked brace LRC, and the other with the anti splitter C which make interesting subjects, are only parts of the photo. IMHO

Ryo

Real Name
    Jon

Ryo, here is the color version. Roof is blown out, but with my very limited PP ability, there is not much I can do about that. Except shoot again next time I am up there.Playin with B&W

Real Name
    Chuck

Jon, the series on the house made me laugh. I guess I just enjoy seeing series of photos that tell a story - with a little help from text. I like your black and white photos better than the color one.

Real Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Teton Chuck View Post
    Jon, the series on the house made me laugh. I guess I just enjoy seeing series of photos that tell a story - with a little help from text. I like your black and white photos better than the color one.
    Chuck, Thanks, I like the B&W also. When these were taken, there is not much color in the area at all.

The color version has nice, saturated colors that are pleasing; however, the color AND the angled shot together are overkill. The angled B&W is very good; I like it a lot.

I, too, am confused about the railroad ties. The bottom one has a tie that is sticking out farther than the others, over at the right edge of the frame. That one could potentially add some interest in a recomposed shot.

Real Name
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bev View Post
    The color version has nice, saturated colors that are pleasing; however, the color AND the angled shot together are overkill. The angled B&W is very good; I like it a lot.

I, too, am confused about the railroad ties. The bottom one has a tie that is sticking out farther than the others, over at the right edge of the frame. That one could potentially add some interest in a recomposed shot.
    Thanks Bev, the color shot of the cabin does nothing for me, as I also prefer the B & W.
    As far as the railroad ties go...well, sometimes it works, and sometimes (like this time) it doesn't. I have to admit that the end result was nothing like my mind had pictured. Maybe it was the rain, or maybe it was the fact that I had not slept for 2+ days and my mind was playing tricks on me.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    ... I have to admit that the end result was nothing like my mind had pictured.
    Cheers
    I can guarantee you are not alone in that respect!