Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: upvc on a listed building, or is it.

Real Name
    Steve

upvc on a listed building, or is it.

Down by the river

upvc on a listed building, or is it.

Exif Image Details
    Make: Canon
    Model: Canon EOS 50D
    Width: 6500 pixels
    Height: 4600 pixels
    Focal Length: 200.0 mm
    F-Number: F/4
    Exposure Time: 0.001 sec. 1/1000
    Metering Mode: SpotExposure Program: ManualISO: 100ISO Speed: 100
    Flash Mode: Off, Did not fire
    Date: 2012-03-05 13:12:05

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: upvc on a listed building, or is it.

That is a very fine image. Lovely colour and tone. Strong shapes and textures and well composed. I do like it.

Maybe people in other parts of the world might not know what we mean by 'listed building'. It's one that's protected by regulation and depending on the type of listing put on it, the owner can be very restricted in what type of alterations or improvements can be made - such as replacing original wooden windows with new UPVC ones.

I was once responsible for managing staff working in a listed building. We wanted to utilise the 3rd storey for additional staff. But to do that we had to have an external fire escape. Because it was a 'Grade B' lisited building we weren't allowed to put on an external fire escape. So the top floor remained unused.

Real Name
    Bill S

The equivalent term in the US would be a 'historical landmark' and similar restrictions would apply.

Still a nice shot. I feel it could possibly use a stronger single focal element - I'm not sure if it should be the bridge or the house. But at the same time of saying that, I have no idea how one would fix that, so maybe I'm just off on this one. I think the dark area under the bridge on the left draws my eye more than it should too.

- Bill

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    The equivalent term in the US would be a 'historical landmark' and similar restrictions would apply.

Still a nice shot. I feel it could possibly use a stronger single focal element - I'm not sure if it should be the bridge or the house. But at the same time of saying that, I have no idea how one would fix that, so maybe I'm just off on this one. I think the dark area under the bridge on the left draws my eye more than it should too.

- Bill
    I always thought the bridge and the house were the same; of course I'm wrong and it is probably looking better now than it ever has: used to be trams here and a swimming baths right in front of it.
    Showing my age because; I used to go to those swimming baths every week without fail. They was lovely.

I do not know how to deal with the dark area, I don't know.
    Last edited by arith; 6th March 2012 at 06:39 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Your right Donald; it is in fact a shelter I believe, for something or other. Don't know what they do about the basement floor though.