Thread: Looking for a tripod without quick-release head

Looking for a tripod without quick-release head

I find the quick-release fitting on my tripod to be more trouble than it's worth. I have to take it off when changing to my backpacking mini-pod or to my old, heavy-duty Graflex tripod or when changing batteries. My Pentax lacks the extra hole for the stud that keeps the fitting from rotating, so it won't tighten properly and the camera is not secure. I've been looking for a better tripod for some time now, but the ones available locally all have the same problems. Does anyone know of a sturdy, lightweight tripod that does not use a quick-release fitting?
    TIA,
    Eve

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Looking for a tripod without quick-release head

Many if not most of the better tripods come without heads. The purchaser selects the head he or she wants and adds it to the tripod. Many heads come without quick release fittings; such as these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Giottos-MH-1...item35b9e09618

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Manfrotto-49...item27c43b3f0b

However, the Manfrotto RC-2 quick release system has an "architectural plate" which includes a lip in the front that pevents the camera from rotating on the tripod screw.

OTOH: an expensive but excellent, quick release option is an Arca Compatible system.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 10th March 2012 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evelynn View Post
    I find the quick-release fitting on my tripod to be more trouble than it's worth. I have to take it off when changing to my backpacking mini-pod or to my old, heavy-duty Graflex tripod or when changing batteries. My Pentax lacks the extra hole for the stud that keeps the fitting from rotating, so it won't tighten properly and the camera is not secure. I've been looking for a better tripod for some time now, but the ones available locally all have the same problems. Does anyone know of a sturdy, lightweight tripod that does not use a quick-release fitting?
    TIA,
    Eve
    Did you ever find a decent head without a quick release?

Real Name
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by neilpho View Post
    Did you ever find a decent head without a quick release?
    The OP hasn't been active for eight years, sso I don't think they will reply!

Real Name
    Dan

Neil,

So this doesn't sound so mysterious: The date of every post is in the top left corner. If you click on the name of the OP, you will see her activity profile.

Welcome to CiC. Best way to get an answer to a question like this is to start a new thread. If you could, please go to your profile (top right) and add your name and location. We use real names here, and your location can often help people give you better advice, e.g., about equipment availability.

Dan