Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you guys carry weapons while photographing?

Real Name
    James

Do you guys carry weapons while photographing?

I live in Los Angeles, CA and am amazed by some of the urban scenery. Many of the places I want to photograph, such as underpasses, train tracks and etc are not the best places to be alone at night with thousands of dollars in camera equipment. So as a newbie, I'm curious to what everyone does in order to help protect themselves and their equipment?

Do you bring a buddy along? Knife? Machete?

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Re: Do you guys carry weapons while photographing?

At the very least, a cellphone with 911 on speed dial, and a hell of a lot of insurance.
    Recent riots have shown that photographers are now targets, not only for the kit, but also for anonymity.
    Once someone pulls a firearm, I don't care how many back-up mates you have with you.
    And a bladed weapon is the same, unless you have a heck of a lot of training to deal with one - and even then....
    Try a web search for others interested in similar photoshoots. They are more likely to know what areas are safe, yet still be able to get the type shots you wish, and you should be able to arrange a meet-up.
    Graham
    Also be aware, that insurance may not cover you if you put yourself deliberately into dangerous situations.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I would suggest the SAS or the French Foreign Legion now those guys are real mean SOB's.

Allan

Real Name
    John

Think about where you are going and what the people in that region might find sacred and you will find your answer to your question as to whether or not you should even be there.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamH View Post
    Once someone pulls a firearm, I don't care how many back-up mates you have with you.
    A martial arts guru was once heard to say that the best defence against someone with a gun is 200 yards ...

... and increasing!

Real Name
    Have a guess :)
    How much is a photo worth?

Real Name
    Karl

I hope we never have this problem here in Australia

Karl

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    A martial arts guru was once heard to say that the best defence against someone with a gun is 200 yards ...

... and increasing!
    When I was an Air Cadet an Army General told me you run towards rifles and away from pistols. Personally I never fancied joining the SAS and there are places like Uxbridge st where I live I wouldn't take a camera. In general; if the cops won't go there I don't.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

In the UK, being found carrying any weapon by police is liable to end up with you in the cells, followed by a court appearance, even if was 'just for self defence'.

I just don't go places like that (make chicken noises now)

Being beaten up as a teenager while minding my own business trainspotting may have something to do with it (make anorak rustling noises now)

Real Name
    Bill S

It has been mentioned a couple times here, but I think it bears repeating...

Just insure your gear. Your gear is never worth personal injury or death, and I believe if you have it insured, it helped to reinforce that thought in your head.

I mean - I still am cautious about my gear, but it is good to know that if something were to happen, I don't have to worry about it. So it doesn't matter if it is getting robbed during an urban shoot, or hiking with a backpack worth of gear... if something happens, I know I can focus on protecting myself and/or any friends/family along with me rather than worrying about my gear.

It also agree with what folks have said about know your surroundings, and know your limits of what you're willing to put up with. I personally do not understand the lengths photojournalists will go to to get the shot. It just doesn't click in my head - but that doesn't mean I would ever judge someone for doing it, or tell them they shouldn't. But if you are going to make that choice, you have to accept the consequences. If you don't like the consequences, don't make the choice.

Lastly, I agree with what folks said about bringing a weapon. In general I think it is a bad idea. If someone is robbing you, they're already on the offensive, bringing a (possible additional) weapon into the mix is more likely to escalate things than diffuse them. Remaining calm (because your gear is insured and you don't have to think about that) is the best weapon you can bring to the fight.

- Bill

Real Name
    Pierre

Here is my thoughts on this fiery topic.
    1. Have you ever shot someone?
    2. Have you ever killed someone?
    3. Are you really willing to kill someone?

Real Name
    Myra

My biggest question would be "why"? If you know an area is dangerous, why be there? If you must be there for a job assignment; that is understandable and you take precautions as mentioned above. If it's for the glory of getting the shot or making a name for yourself as a photographer, that's OK, too, unless you have people at home who are depending on you to be there for them - whole and alive. Just my humble advice, but before you decide how to protect yourself, decide if it's really in everyone's best interests for you to go there. We're not talking about lone muggers in those places, are we?
    Last edited by Maritimer1; 4th March 2012 at 06:20 PM.

Fortunately, not even a consideration where I live; although I normally do carry an Opinel knife in my backpack (3 ins blade) but that is just for snipping a few twigs that may spoil a view.

But thinking about carrying things like this around, I always have a couple of substantial knives in my vehicle; inside my fishing tackle box.

After spending over 30 years as a commercial fisherman I never regard knives as weapons, just tools; like a carpenter's saw or chisel etc.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    It has been mentioned a couple times here, but I think it bears repeating...

Just insure your gear. Your gear is never worth personal injury or death, and I believe if you have it insured, it helped to reinforce that thought in your head.
    - Bill
    Just to reinforce the point, if you DELIBERATELY go into dangerous situation (as defined by the insurance company, and their definition is going to err on the most profitable side for them, not you), you WILL not be covered by their normal insurance. If you tell them what you want covered, them be ready for a MASSIVE increase in premiums.
    Of course, you could just deliberately lie about the whole thing ..., which is another matter entirely.
    Graham

I would not go into places that would be that dangerous just for a picture, too many other places to go that will be much safer.
    1) I have never shot anyone!
    2) I have never killed anyone.
    3) If someone was to try and harm one of my family members or an innocent person, I would be willing to take a life for those reasons and possibly for my on life also. It does not mean that I would be a happy camper about it at all, a camera can be replaced a life cannot. Just like a normal person a criminal has choices to make and also the consequences of those choices that are sure to follow. I just hope and pray that I am not the one that has to deal out the consequences for some criminal that just does not value personal property or the life of fellow human beings.

Real Name
    Richard

Hand grenade...

If you can get one, the very best option would be to tape a hand grenade to your chest. Then if a mugger comes up to you, simply pull the pin and teach him a lesson

Realistically, unless it was my job, I would not venture into any area in which I thought I needed a weapon in order to protect myself. And; I would seriously have to reconsider any job which might place me in that danger. In the past, I have carried a weapon while photographing to protect myself from the bad guys but, they were usually wearing black pajamas or uniforms with red stars. I was also in my twenties at the time...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 4th March 2012 at 07:54 PM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

I have little experience with dangerous urban environments, however I think this advice about being in bear country is applicable. We have grizzlies and black bears in quite large numbers locally. A gun or knife is of minimal to no use and will only give a false sense of security.

What you need to do is walk with a friend and carry a stout walking staff (as this is a photography site: a strong monopod will do). When the bear approaches, use the walking staff to trip your friend then run like hell.

Real Name
    John

Re: Hand grenade...

While on vacation in Argentina a few years ago a labor demonstration was in progress in front of our hotel as we were returning for the evening. My fiance wanted to watch the demonstration, I thought this wasn't a very good idea, mainly because this was a country that did not take kindly to public demonstrations. So we had an excursion planned for that evening and we waited it out for the demonstration to end and it did peacefully. I always think of an article I read that sort of illustrates the need for caution. It is linked below.

http://www2.citypaper.com/printStory.asp?id=14000

Real Name
    William (call me Bill)

Quote Originally Posted by b00gym4n View Post
    I live in Los Angeles, CA and am amazed by some of the urban scenery. Many of the places I want to photograph, such as underpasses, train tracks and etc are not the best places to be alone at night . . .
    Move to Australia for a long visit and bring all your camera gear - we have lots to photograph but don't bring any weapons here or carry any: it is illegal so to do.

"Rubbish on Rubbish"
    ©WWM 2009

WW

Real Name
    Ronny Geenen

Quote Originally Posted by William W View Post
    Move to Australia for a long visit and bring all your camera gear - we have lots to photograph but don't bring any weapons here or carry any: it is illegal so to do.

"Rubbish on Rubbish"
    ©WWM 2009

WW

Hi William W,
    I have been an officer in the Dutch merchant marines from 1957 to 1968. In 1967 I was on a cargo ship in Adelaid. I was only allowed to go ashore after the captain explain that my parents were Dutch and French, even I was born in Indonesia. My passport got a stamp with the following text: Origin white! I must say the world has changed today.

Also in about the same period we were with an oil tanker in Philadelphia. To go to the city we had to go with a taxi. Another officer and me, we both love jazz and blues music. We told the cap driver to take us that evening to the neighborhood where the blacks had their nite clubs and bars. This driver, a white guy, told us that he will take us to the edge of the area, but not inside. I can tell you, we had a wonderful evening and we two officers made that evening some new friends.

I have learn not to listen to all those wild stories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast