Thread: Betws-y-Coed

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

Betws-y-Coed

This is of the river running through the lovely town of Betws-y-Coed in North Wales,taken yesterday.ISO 200, 13 second exposure,f/14, with a Nikon D3s and Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 lens,Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter.

Betws-y-Coed
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 3rd March 2012 at 09:58 AM.

Real Name
    Marty Johnston

Re: Betws-y-Coed

Lovely smooth result from that long exposure. I hate to think how precarious your tripod placement must've been on those slippery rocks! Is there a touch of HDR treatment in here as well?

Real Name
    Myra

Beautiful dreamy water. I know nothing about filters. What effect does the one you used have on your photos?

Real Name
    Neil McAllister

The filter just blocked some of the light out without affecting the colours allowing me to use a longer shutter speed to blur the water.Its the first time I've used this filter and I think that it could have done with a shorter exposure to give a bit of definition to the water.Processing was done within Lightroom 3 using some of the presets.

Real Name
    Philip

Quote Originally Posted by Neilmac50 View Post
    The filter just blocked some of the light out without affecting the colours allowing me to use a longer shutter speed to blur the water. Its the first time I've used this filter and I think that it could have done with a shorter exposure to give a bit of definition to the water.
    Neil,

This is something I have yet to try but I think you are right. I have seen many photos similar to this in which the effect is overdone, so that the water loses its flowing liquid texture and becomes transformed into a fog. It would seem logical that a shorter exposure will retain more of the watery texture while still giving the impression of movement, which is presumably the purpose of the technique.

Philip

Real Name
    Pierre

I have an identical twin. He hates the dreamy smooth look when applying filters, and I like the dreamy smooth look. I say this because two people can be close, yet have completely different tastes...it is "the essence of what makes the world go round."

I think what makes this image work as well as it does with the filter is, it seems the image was made while a lot of sun pounded the scene. The long exposure takes the overexposed scene and makes it work. Though I would be interested to see an exposure of less time to examine the results.