Thread: More underwater macros

Real Name
    Karl

More underwater macros

A few photos fom my dive this morning. All taken with my Canon G12 in a Recsea housing with twin YS110A strobes and an external x3 macro wet lens fitted to the front of the housing.

Comments welcomed

Male Cardinal fish with eggs - I finaly got a shot of these guys that I am happy with

More underwater macros

A juvenile 'Old Wife'

More underwater macros

Mexichromis macropus

More underwater macros

Dragonette

More underwater macros

More underwater macros

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: More underwater macros

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Male Cardinal fish with eggs - I finaly got a shot of these guys that I am happy with

More underwater macros
    I can see why. That is superb.

They all are.

Real Name
    Mal

You're making me want to a. Go diving right now, and b. go by myself an underwater rig Great photos. Visibility has been pretty poor up here on the Coast lately with all the rain we've been getting.

Real Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    You're making me want to a. Go diving right now, and b. go by myself an underwater rig Great photos. Visibility has been pretty poor up here on the Coast lately with all the rain we've been getting.
    Thanks - visibility is always poor where I dive - yesterday was <4m and very milky so it is a bit of a challenge. Looking forward to July when I have a week in Bali - fingers crossed for good vis

Karl

Real Name
    Chuck

Karl, beautiful photos. The colors are stunning.

Real Name
    Bob R

Superb, you have a calling, there just aren't a lot of this type of picture. Outstanding.

Real Name
    Peter

What they said!

Great shots

Real Name
    Bill S

Karl,

I think I'm going to have to block your posts.... It is bad enough you're making me jealous and longing to get back in the water, but now talk of going to Bali?!? My wife and I have been longing to redo our trip to Bali & Wakatobi for a while now, and shots like these just make it worse!

Nice captures on all of them. Are these cropped at all?

Lastly, have you looked into doing any kind of Fluorescence shooting? I just read an article in my most recent Alert Diver magazine, and it definitely looks awesome! I think I'll have to try it on my next trip.

- Bill

Real Name
    Karl

Quote Originally Posted by ktuli View Post
    Karl,

I think I'm going to have to block your posts.... It is bad enough you're making me jealous and longing to get back in the water, but now talk of going to Bali?!? My wife and I have been longing to redo our trip to Bali & Wakatobi for a while now, and shots like these just make it worse!

Nice captures on all of them. Are these cropped at all?

Lastly, have you looked into doing any kind of Fluorescence shooting? I just read an article in my most recent Alert Diver magazine, and it definitely looks awesome! I think I'll have to try it on my next trip.

- Bill
    Bill - none of these are cropped. Since I have started using the x3 macro wet lens it has increased the magnification and capabilities of the G12.

Wakatobi is on my 'Lotto' win list - would love to get there one day but just can't afford it. Tulamben, Bali is more affordable for me and I enjoyed my first trip there and can't wait to get back there. Next year will try and get to Lembeh Straits so I have to start planning and saving now

Until then will just have to keep diving in my local area and out up with the poor visibility

I haven't tried fluroesent photography but have read a couple of articles on it - when it works it is stunning.

Karl

Real Name
    Bill S

Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Bill - none of these are cropped. Since I have started using the x3 macro wet lens it has increased the magnification and capabilities of the G12.

Wakatobi is on my 'Lotto' win list - would love to get there one day but just can't afford it. Tulamben, Bali is more affordable for me and I enjoyed my first trip there and can't wait to get back there. Next year will try and get to Lembeh Straits so I have to start planning and saving now

Until then will just have to keep diving in my local area and out up with the poor visibility

I haven't tried fluroesent photograpghy but have read a couple of articles on it - when it works it is stunning.
    That is good that none of these are cropped - nice work getting in close. I do honestly think I like your previous cardinal fish with eggs better than this one though (first one on the previous post) - I like that you were below the fish for a better angle rather than coming down from on top. Regardless, they're all awesome shots (and ones I wish to capture my own versions of some day).

Wakatobi was basically our honeymoon trip (albeit several years later), and I can vouch that it is worth every penny - though I'm surprised that it isn't more affordable for you as I thought the bulk of our cost was travel. I've been reading Burt Jones' "Diving Indonesia's Birds Head Seascape" and it makes me torn between wanting to go back to Wakatobi or explore any of the other amazing areas for diving in Indonesia. Regardless, we definitely want to get back there as soon as possible!

Unfortunately, local area diving here in Pittsburgh means either the rivers (eeewwwww!) or lakes or quarries (boring! and close to 1-2m vis), so I unfortunately am in serious dive withdrawl. And to make it worse, we're not scheduled for another trip until October.

I do definitely plan on trying out the fluorescent photography - the kits I was looking at (from Nightsea) seemed pretty reasonable, and I'll likely try and save up the extra to be able to buy a kit before my next trip. They had a fluorescent dive offered when we were in Wakatobi, but my wife and I couldn't afford it at the time, but now I really wish we had.

- Bill
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 5th March 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Real Name
    Karl

Hi Bill,

The travel cost for me here in Perth is very cheap but the rates to stay there (Wakatobi) is a tad more expensive than some of the other places I can stay at and the Scottish blood in me hates spending anymore money than I have too

I really like the look of Lembeh as well as Anilao in the Phillipines or Raja Ampat or Flores or East Timor - oh the list can go on

Karl

Real Name
    Mal

We're planning to head to Fiji in September. I'm hoping to save enough for an underwater rig as well as the trip

Real Name
    Bill S

Mal,

Are you looking for a compact kit or a housing for your D7000? Compact kits can be had for under $800 with strobe, whereas a housing for the SLR will run you probably closer to $2500 (minimum) for housing, ports, strobe, and Pelican case to carry it all.

- Bill