Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rock close-up

Real Name
    Eugen

Rock close-up

Sometimes I spend a couple hours/week at the local Lapidary Club, polishing rocks.
    Well, many of these rocks doesn't look extraordinary but sometime there will be one to really shine.

The rock in the folowing photo isn't finished yet - I still have some work do do - and that is one reason for such a tight/heavy crop.
    Well, another reason for cropping it this way is that I couldn't get too close with my 24-105 lenses (just ordered some close-up filters).

I will take some more photos once I finish the rock and once I get my close-up filters - this is all I have for now - and I should do some focus stacking as well

The grainy aspect (more obvious on le lower/left side) is given by the rock itself - my PP contribution was minimal here, just a little bit of contrast, brightness and minimal sharpening.

Rock close-up

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Rock close-up

Good grief - That is amazing. There is nothing quite like nature for producing the spectacular.

I look forward to seeing more, Eugen.

Real Name
    Mal

That does look very interesting. My kids would be very fascinated with what you have there. It actually looks similar to the thunder eggs we get up here at Mt Tamborine except it has very sharp corners in some of the patters which I haven't seen before.

Real Name
    Eugen

Thanks Donald and Mal for your comments

I don't know exactly what this rock is (guess I'll have to ask the "elders" from the Club) but the colours and the pattern is amazing.
    I still have a little bit to work on this stone. I had to crop the photo quite a lot to get rid of the "ugly" part but I intend to fix that soon.
    I have also a very nice piece of malachite - no photos for that yet - and I hope I'll have some photos soon enough.

Indeed - mother nature's creations are amazing