Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Cold Duck

Real Name
    JimC

Cold Duck

Hi again all. Today I shot only RAW photos. Looking forward to your Feedback . Its like this Nobbbb keeps saying WoW why didn't I think of that. JimC
    Cold Duck

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Cold Duck

Ok Jim, being you seem to be looking to learn...as you jumped right in when shooting RAW was mentioned. I will give you no BS go at C&C. When shooting animals....the closer to their level you can get...the better. Also unless specifically going for a portrait style try no to cut any in half. Groups can be a little tricky to get a good composition. You can always zoom out a little to give you a little adjusting room if the models are being a pain.

It looks a bit over exposed, not sure if this was in shooting or in PP. Also the color looks to be a bit over saturated, I would try cutting that back. What PP program are you useing? Fear not it takes a little practice but before long you will be amazed at what you can do. Almost forgot to mention... the focus point seems to be at the center of the water between the ducks and at 2.8 your DOF was a bit shallow hence the ducks being less sharp.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 3rd March 2012 at 02:30 AM.

Real Name
    cynthia angus tonkovich

Live near the Barnegat Bay in New Jersey. Took some pics of ducks, geese, swan, etc. last spring for a couple of hours. Fortunate to capture a great shot of ONE duck and ultimately layered him in PS and made three out of one, with them swimming side by side, including their shadows. Pretty cool. And the professor seemed to like it.
    Your shot is nice and close. Love how the colors stand out on the feathers, particularly the female. You could improve the color and activity on the water in PS or Corel Painter. You could also adjust your exposure there. Good job.

Real Name
    james

Thanks Paul, I am taking notes also... Jim since I started shooting RAW images my keepers doubled. I think a simple exposure adjustment to tone down the whites on the males would do wonders for this pic.... Oh yea I almost always use centerpoint autofocus and shoot for the eyes...heres one I shot the other day the only pp was done in raw I too had to back the exposure a little then sharpen a touch after shrinking.keep postingCold Duck

Real Name
    Paul

Hey Jim, just a guess but did you take this shot at Log Boom Park?

Real Name
    Paul

Good Shot James.

Real Name
    JimC

Thanks Paul, your comments have been great, I think I got a lot to learn from you. I love log boom park,but this shot was taken at Country Village. My next outing will be Log Boom Park. Thanks for reminding me i haven't been to LBP sence my 35mm days
    JimC

Real Name
    Paul

No worries Jim. I stop there on my way to my favorite park for birds. There are usually a couple Eagles up the big tree near the dock but rarely a good shot. To many branches.

Real Name
    Paul

See what I mean? too many branches.

Cold Duck

Real Name
    JimC

Hey Paul . Did you and I meet at the dock there in Kenmore. I talked to a guy shooting Eagles. Was that you by chance? That's where I learned about CiC. : ))))))). JimC

Real Name
    Paul

Yep, that was me. You were out trying your 90mm. When I saw that is what you used to take the duck shot it reminded me of that day. This is that Eagle pic. lol