Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Under the Big Pine

Real Name
    Steve

Under the Big Pine

Still editing a few from my last shoot. If you look at the doe on the right closely, you will see it is the same one i posted sleeping next to that pine limb.(40d long lens) This image is the value of 2 cameras. If i had to change lenses , i would have never gotten this shot.

Under the Big Pine

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Under the Big Pine

The beauty of this, for me, is that this is not an image of a deer, but of animals in their environment. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (I hope that's an expression that people in other parts of the world understand).

It's just sublime. Plain and simple!

Real Name
    Joe

I agree with all of Donald's comments and hope to use your image and his comments in my future wildlife photography. Now that said I look at your image and then your profile and wonder where you took the photo, where you live. I see so many people only partially fill out their profile and wonder why.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    The beauty of this, for me, is that this is not an image of a deer, but of animals in their environment. The whole is greater than the sum of the parts (I hope that's an expression that people in other parts of the world understand).

It's just sublime. Plain and simple!
    Thank you donald , of all the wildlife photos i take, for the most part, the wide angle one's are my favorites. It's not easy to find a place you can combine a landscape image with a wildlife image. This is truely a special place, i take these images from.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jprzybyla View Post
    I agree with all of Donald's comments and hope to use your image and his comments in my future wildlife photography. Now that said I look at your image and then your profile and wonder where you took the photo, where you live. I see so many people only partially fill out their profile and wonder why.
    Thank you joe, i live in wheeling, west virginia. These images are taken from oglebay park. Look it up on line, they have a website.

Real Name
    Mike

Another agreeing with Donald. Just looking at the picture, if you had the longer lens and got a closer up, just looking around the immediate area of the deer, you would get plain trees in the background with no color and possibly a small pine tree tilted over being distracting. This way, the green of the trees adds to the image as do the large tree trunks, the hilly slopes, etc.

Real Name
    Paul

As always, love your deer shots. The taking a wider more distant/landscape type seems to be new this year as I remember mostly close ups before but I must say I am enjoying them just as much and sometimes more. Keep it up Steve!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Another agreeing with Donald. Just looking at the picture, if you had the longer lens and got a closer up, just looking around the immediate area of the deer, you would get plain trees in the background with no color and possibly a small pine tree tilted over being distracting. This way, the green of the trees adds to the image as do the large tree trunks, the hilly slopes, etc.

Mike, i totally disagree..................shoot your way in, and shoot your way out. Both wide and telephoto. Take what you get and move on. Tomorrow is another day.

This is one of the tele shots of the same deer on the way in..........................Under the Big Pine

Not as bad as you figured?????

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    As always, love your deer shots. The taking a wider more distant/landscape type seems to be new this year as I remember mostly close ups before but I must say I am enjoying them just as much and sometimes more. Keep it up Steve!
    Thanks paul. Wide angle is new this year because i just got my 85mm a few months ago. I have one more lens to get and that's the 135L. It will fill in the middle ground when needed, and take a teleconverter as well.

Real Name
    Richard

Steve you ought to look into producing a calendar or two with some of the absolutely beautiful deer images you have shot!

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Steve you ought to look into producing a calendar or two with some of the absolutely beautiful deer images you have shot!
    Thank you richard, i'm getting a collection , that is for shure. I need to do something with them.