Thread: A Jetty?

Real Name
    colin

A Jetty?

Hi!
    I would like some c&c on this shot I took at a nearby beach. As a newbie I would appreciate all comments and advice. Thank you in anticipation.

Colin [HIMG]http://i44.tinypic.com/2qn04sg.jpg[/IMG]

Real Name
    Paul

Re: A Jetty?

Your photo was not showing Colin, there was an extra letter in the code. Here ya go.

A Jetty?

Real Name
    colin

Thank you Paul,why would I get an extra letter in the code.
    Colin

Real Name
    Paul

Honestly, I have no clue and am surprised I saw it. lol If you look at your post...in the first set of [] there should be [IMG] the H does not belong.

Real Name
    2 penny for the guess..

Hi Colin,

I like the tonal range, but I think you should take a different station point. Lower, to render the wooden pilars on the sky (without sea) or up, without sky. Also, a bit close to them, to get the small(stones) or pieces of wood from the left a bit closer to you. There is a line in the sand, aprox 2 meters in fron of you, maybe from there?
    If is nearby you, maybe you can give a try, if you want.

Leo

Real Name
    Mavourneen

I agree that you should try for other variations...get down low and photograph high...especially during the sunset or just focus on one of them and blur out a few others...hrm. Or set the tripod up high and shoot down towards with the posts taking the majority of the background, while leaving the white sand in foreground (probably require a wide angle lens though)

Otherwise, it's exposed correctly...try a b/w on this..good luck!! Hope you share more!

I think, Colin, I would crop a bit off the bottom and turn it into a panoramic shot.

Shooting from a lower angle would simply give you more sky, unless you change the width/height ratio.

If it was a really interesting sky that lower angle might work but I'm not keen on just adding more 'plain blue'. And you really need the full width.

A bottom crop will leave the horizon about the middle of the frame height but I think it will still work OK.