Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Will it Ever End?

Real Name
    Terry

Will it Ever End?

Not soon enough! I always wondered what these guys do when they aren’t on tour!

So since this Bozo is determined to hang around and make my Life miserable, I put him to work!

Today’s task: Forget all the flashy Rock and Roll stuff and let me do a portrait.

The parameter’s: the goofy hat (to deal with shadows on the face but yet light the hat), combination light and dark clothing, shot against a black backdrop. And add that gorgeous axe just to make matters worse.

This was more to do with lighting. I did a quickie post, not enough, but it was gray carded as a minimum. I was just kind of hoping to see what the CiC Lighting Luminaries might advise.

As hard as this dude is to work with, he is kind of a handsome devil! I must be suffering from the Stockholm Syndrome!

Will it Ever End?

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Will it Ever End?

Well done, I like this I think even better than those before.....which I liked.

Real Name
    Mal

A good pose and well lit across the face. The tones of his arms are very different to his face - are they naturally like that?

Real Name
    Terry

Thank you, Paul.

No, Mal, the tones are not naturally like that. I dropped the exposure/brightness on the bottom part of the photo in a quickie post to hopefully be less distracting from the face. Kind of like a vignetting, sort of. Also to bring down the reflection on the bottom part of the guitar.

Yes, perfect.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    I was just kind of hoping to see what the CiC Lighting Luminaries might advise.
    Since I'm not one of them, I won't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Loose Canon View Post
    As hard as this dude is to work with, he is kind of a handsome devil!
    Well, I suppose everyone's entitled to their own opinion!

For an enhanced annual membership fee, CiC can arrange therapy to deal with Stockholm Syndrome.

ps - Wonderful image.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Terry,

Looks good to me. If I had to change anything (and there's really no need to), I might consider cropping or cloning out the highlight along the bottom edge and if I were reshooting, slightly higher rim lighting levels?

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Yes, perfect.
    Thank you, Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Since I'm not one of them...
    I'm afraid I would have to disagree.

Well, I suppose everyone's entitled to their own opinion! For an enhanced annual membership fee, CiC can arrange therapy to deal with Stockholm Syndrome.
    I can see that I am even further gone than I first thought, Donald! Please sign me up for an immediate doubly enhanced CiC Stockholm Syndrome Abatement Program! Can I assume I make out the check to you directly?

ps - Wonderful image.
    Thank you, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    If I had to change anything (and there's really no need to), I might consider cropping or cloning out the highlight along the bottom edge and if I were reshooting, slightly higher rim lighting levels?
    Hi Colin,

To my chagrin (now), I cropped for 8x12 and let it go at that. I try to crop for easy print sizes these days and 8x10 would probably achieve what you are advising. I didn't do a thorough PP and I probably should have done a bit more polishing before I posted. Also agree that a bit more rim would be a good thing with these conditions.

Thank you for the input, sir.
    Last edited by Loose Canon; 2nd March 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Terry, that looks very good! The light to camera right makes the photo to me, creating some great lines on his hat, his face, and his axe. Very nice.

Real Name
    Terry

Quote Originally Posted by speedneeder View Post
    Terry, that looks very good! The light to camera right makes the photo to me, creating some great lines on his hat, his face, and his axe. Very nice.
    Thank you, Brian. Nice to hear from still yet another CiC Lighting Luminary.