Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Old Barn

Real Name
    Diane

Old Barn

Ok, here goes the first time stepping away from the "auto" setting on my camera. I think I did OK I did a lot of reading about settings before I went out but I feel really "dense" and out of my comfort zone. This is an old barn I have been looking at for a while. What I didn't realize when passing it in the car was the angle of the ditch from where I wanted to take the picture. I just about did an injury to myself so I took the shot accross the road meaning I had to get the fence in. I am working on another way to get around the no tresspassing sign and the ditch to achieve what I wanted to.

This was taken with my Nikon D3100 f/8 1/1000 ISO 400 70-300@125mm

Old Barn

Thanks
    Diane

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Old Barn

Diane, I think that you made the correct choice in positioning for the shot. IMO, there is no image which is worth putting yourself at serious risk of injury to acquire.

Driving my motorhome along some country roads, I have passed numerous spots which would make great pictures. However, the danger involved in stopping for the shot far outweighed the value of the image.

I suppose an alternative here, Diane, would be to take 2, or more, shots then combine them so the fence appears as sharp as the barn.

A bit tricky to get correct though, unless you have suitable software.

Real Name
    Diane

Thanks Richard, I did get myself into a bit of a spot and realized that it really isn't worth what I'm trying there has got to be another way. I wasn't going to get a decent shot anyway holding onto the fence for dear life trying to balance the camera, I was running out of hands very quickly and had a close to vertical drop behind me I don't know how I had managed to climb up. One of my more idiotic moments. Geoff I do think I will try this another day and that would solve the fence issue plus the getting arrested for trespassing.

Thanks again, I do love old barns.
    Diane