Thread: How to convert PF2 in to JPG

Real Name
    Sachin

How to convert PF2 in to JPG

Hello Friends,

I am sachin, I click 1st time RAW pic by EOS 500D and try to edit it in canon picture style editor but after that it saved in PF2 format.

Please suggest how to convert it in JPG...?

Real Name
    Al

Re: How to convert PF2 in to JPG

Hi Sachin. The Canon Picture Style editor is not used for editing or processing photos (RAW or otherwise); it's only purpose is to create custom "Picture Styles" that EOS 500D can use at capture. Your camera already has some built-in styles (Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, and Faithful), but the Style editor lets you create your own styles that you can use for particular subjects. You might create styles for flowers and night shooting, for example.

To process photos, use Digital Photo Professional (DPP), which should also have been included on the same CD as the Style editor. Process your RAW file in DPP, then use the File->Save As... command from the File Menu, and select JPG as the file type.

Canon has video tutorials for each of these tools available online.
    The DPP tutorials are here.
    The Picture Style editor tutorials are here.
    Last edited by Snarkbyte; 28th February 2012 at 10:28 PM.

I'm not familiar with that particular software, Sachin, but if it is similar to the Canon DPP you should have an option to save your photos to other formats. I assume PF2 is the 'native' format for CPS but I haven't found that particular format before.

Try to open the photos again with CPS editor then check out the Save As options; but you may need to search around for this.

There must be other format and folder location options there, somewhere.

I always download Raw files with Canon EOS Utility then convert with other editing software.

Real Name
    Jim

Yes,the Picture Style Editor doesn't save in any format other than PF2.
    Never used it,but just checked out the program.No other options to "save as".

Real Name
    Sachin

Thanks Al, Just I check that DPP. now need to study on that.

Thanks again

Real Name
    Sachin

Hello Geoff,

Thanks for reply... Pls suggest good software just for trial.

Real Name
    Sachin

Thanks Jim for reply. PF2 is really difficult for new editor.

The Canon DPP is probably the best, and cheapest (free) way for you to go in the short term if you are shooting Raw, Sachin.

It is a bit basic compared with many programmes but some people find it is sufficient for their needs.

It will take a little bit of thought to understand the software so do return here if you need any more advice.

With regard to alternative software. Photoshop Elements 10 is currently on special offer at many outlets. But I wouldn't exactly describe it as an easy starter programme for digital editing.

Serif Photo Plus produce some reasonably good software but I wouldn't recommend going beyond version X3 for beginner editing. That is an older model so should be available at a good price.

If money isn't a concern, you could always go right up to Adobe CS5; but I definitely wouldn't describe that as a simple starter programme; although you don't have to use all the complicated bits straight away.

Hi Sachin. Yup indeed, I agree with Snarkbyte. Not the same as other image formats, PF2 is a special kind of formats to create custom "Picture Styles" that EOS 500D can use at capture. It is not very necessary to convert it to the common formats of image files(such as JPG) with the help of some fine image conversion SDK. You can also google some dpp tutoials about it to learn more. I hope you success. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by arronlee View Post
    Hi Sachin. Yup indeed, I agree with Snarkbyte. Not the same as other image formats, PF2 is a special kind of formats to create custom "Picture Styles" that EOS 500D can use at capture. It is not very necessary to convert it to the common formats of image files(such as JPG) with the help of some fine image conversion SDK. You can also google some dpp tutoials about it to learn more. I hope you success. Good luck.
    hi,buddy. thank you for the advice,. i will have a try.

Hi! Was curious if there was any way to convert a pf2 file to a hald or a .cube file.