Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: St Andrews, Scotland

Real Name
    Stephen

St Andrews, Scotland

One of my first attempts at night time / B&W photography. This building is actually one of the oldest remaining buildings in St Andrews and is the oldest dwelling still in use (dates back to the 15th century). It's currently a residential hall for postgraduate students.

St Andrews, Scotland

Real Name
    Nate

Re: St Andrews, Scotland

From your description, I gather you were focusing on the building, but I think the tree is incredibly interesting. I've just spent the last five minutes staring at it. Really cool stuff.

Real Name
    Chris

Several issues with this shot. First, the lens distortion from the wide angle lens in this shallow a space, with the multiple distractions, almost all of which are geometric in shape, is somewhat annoying - naw, it is very annoying. I found it very hard to concentrate on the tree, building or the next offense, the light.

The light needed to go and the easiest way was to reset the image using distortion control. This sets the verticals, vertical, pulls the light source out of the frame and allows the focus to center on the tree, bikes and some of the building.

I also used three different layers of gradient fill (black to transparent, soft fill layer blend), two at the top, one at the bottom, erasing all but the most immediate parts of the light source at an opacity set to 50%..

My crop eliminated most of the distractions which allows for a renewed interest in the bikes, and tree, which I think was your primary focus.

St Andrews, Scotland

Real Name
    Chris

Curious as to any response on this edit...like, dislike?

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

I think your edit is superb and well explained. !st pic looks like the tree is holding up the building, and your's straightened up nicely and crop out light and distraction in lower right. well done from my perspective.