Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Waterton Lake, Alberta, Canada

Real Name
    Valerie

Waterton Lake, Alberta, Canada

IMG]http://i43.tinypic.com/sq6moo.jpg[/IMG]Waterton Lake, Alberta, Canada

Taken on the Canadian side of Glacier National Park at Waterton Lakes, Alberta Canada.
    Settings: f10. 1/400 sec. ISO 200. Focal Length 52mm.

Comments welcome, good or bad.

Valerie

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Waterton Lake, Alberta, Canada

Hi Valerie and welcome. Saw your other thread on the Glacier reflection and thought it was very nice. I didn't comment because others had already said the sort of things I would have said.

Turning to this image - it's a nice peaceful scene with subtle colours. The thing that I'm not so keen on is the large tree in the foreground. For me, it is too dominant - particularly the large branch extending halfway across the image. You might be able to clone some of it out with some painstaking work in PS! Also, I would consider cropping off the bottom of the image up to where the rocky beach finishes. And finally , I think the image would benefit from a duplicate layer with the blending mode set to Soft Light and Opacity about 70-80%. This will remove the hazy look to some extent.

Dave
    Last edited by dje; 27th February 2012 at 09:22 AM.

Real Name
    Peter

Valerie - I think I agree with Dave. The tree is indeed pretty dominate. It is also a bit dark so you have lost a lot of detail in there.

Otherwise it is a great scene - everything else looks pretty sharp and looks good.

Yes, those were my thoughts.

In this case, the background is hazy, although not your fault, so it can only be background. In which case the tree must be the main subject. But for that, it is too far to the right.

I think, if it was possible, I would like to see a little more foreground and possibly the whole tree. Alternatively, forget the tree and find some interesting rocks on the shoreline.

I get a lot of shots, which looked good at the time; but never successfully made transition to the screen

Real Name
    Valerie

Thanks you guys for the input.. I will try to use it constructively. I have a lot to learn in Photoshop It will take me a while to perfect that aspect, but that's why I am here... to learn.
    Valerie

Real Name
    Chris

Waterton Lake, Alberta, Canada

Since you are using Photoshop, you need to reset your black point in the levels adjustment dialogue, reset the curve, adjust slightly for some vibrance and increase your saturation by about +5. You might also want to adjust the color levels using the B&W adjustment with the blend set to luminosity..adjust the opacity to your tastes.

I cropped to an 8 x 10 format and removed some of the foreground debris...I used the tree to its best advantage for the scene.

Real Name
    Valerie

Chris, Thanks for the input and the visual. It does look much better. Now I just need to dig in and learn how to do what you suggested. Wow.. Valerie