Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Glacier Reflections

Real Name
    Valerie

Glacier Reflections

Glacier Reflections

This picture was taken outside the Many Glacier Lodge in Glacier National Park, Montana, USA
    Settings: f10 1/320sec, ISO200 with focal length of 28mm. I may never get another chance to take this picture again as it is across the USA from North Carolina but I would welcome any comments to improve other photos.

Valerie

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Glacier Reflections

Wonderfully serene scene and beautifully captured.

I am not sure but it could be a tiny tiny little bit slanting to the left or that could be an optical illusion.

Real Name
    Valerie

Bobo, Thanks for the comments, You could be right. A little hard for me to tell also. I will look out for your posts. Thanks,
    Valerie

Real Name
    Graham Heron

Hi Valerie,
    Love the shot, love the extra detail of the cloud around the peak, really makes it for me.
    Graham

Real Name
    Pierre

Valerie
    Beautiful image of such a great location.
    If I was to be working on this image, my taste , I would possibly make some adjustment to the Black slider and Clarity slider, moving both to the right. I would also clone out the stick in the right side foreground.

Next time you are near such an expanse of water in front of the landmass, I would experiment with a few additional images with your shooting position. Such as moving forward a little if possible and/or getting lower. The water/land line is puzzling me some, yet I cannot quite put my finger on it.

Real Name
    james

very pleasing photo

Beautiful shot! As others have mentioned, the shoreline doesn't appear horizontal. Just nitpicking.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

It's beautiful! would look great on a postcard

Overall a very good photo. However, I think it is slightly overexposed and I would not be surprised if some of the snow patches are clipped at pure white. If the photo was saved as a RAW file, you should have not trouble recovering the highlights.

A couple of things from the previous comments, Valerie.

According to measurements from my monitor, a clockwise rotation of 2 mm would be required to level the water. However water which has a receding shoreline can appear off level even when it is correct. So we don't really have any exact comparison here.

And yes, according to my cheap uncalibrated monitor the snow under the peak may be slightly overexposed.

But I wouldn't worry too much about either with such an excellent scene.

Although if you shot Raw it may be an easy matter to go back to the original and check the highlight readings. Then if there is a slight problem, a little touch of 'Recovery' should make everything absolutely perfect.

Real Name
    Valerie

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    Valerie
    Beautiful image of such a great location.
    If I was to be working on this image, my taste , I would possibly make some adjustment to the Black slider and Clarity slider, moving both to the right. I would also clone out the stick in the right side foreground.

Next time you are near such an expanse of water in front of the landmass, I would experiment with a few additional images with your shooting position. Such as moving forward a little if possible and/or getting lower. The water/land line is puzzling me some, yet I cannot quite put my finger on it.

Real Name
    Valerie

Pierre, Wow , what an eye. I have so much to learn. I never saw the stick until you mentioned it. I will have to learn about the black slider.. Thanks so much for your advice and I can only hope I get to be as observant and knowledgeable as you seem to be. I can only skim the surface in Photo Shop.. Thanks again, Valerie

Real Name
    Valerie

I plan to try using RAW. I have not attempted this yet but your comments have encouraged me to do so. Thank you for your comments. Valerie