Thread: My morning at the beach- waterscape, frangipanis and wallabies

Real Name
    Trace

My morning at the beach- waterscape, frangipanis and wallabies

I've had a few hectic weeks at work and despite the weather forecast for this morning I was determined I was going to be out with my camera. I decided since it was going to be 80% cloud cover and 70% chance of rain that I stay close to home and headed to one of my local beaches.
    Well the sunrise was nicer than I anticipated; with a little colour sneaking in to complement the storminess. So I took advantage of the tidal flat to capture the reflections. Once the colour had gone I extricated myself from my spot in the mud to move to drier ground and tried experimenting with my new flash on some frangipanis. I was absorbed in that for a while, trying to get my head around the exposures, and when I turned to leave I found that the local wallaby population were in the mangroves behind me. I managed a few photos (albeit the ones below are 100% crops) before they decided I was too close and too scary and hopped off into the safety of the trees. Needless to say I do not have the patience of a wildlife photographer, so rather than wait for them to reappear I took my grumbling stomach home for some brekky. In all a lovely morning with only a little dampness and a whole lot of nature therapy.

1. Sunrise 1/6sec at f/8 and 18mm
    2. Frangipani 1/180sec at f/8 and 55mm - flash fired
    3. All the wallaby photos 1/90sec (lucky they were reasonably still) at f/5.6 and 170mm and then heavily cropped

Last edited by PhotoByTrace; 25th February 2012 at 09:02 AM. Reason: couple/few

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: My morning at the beach- waterscape, frangipanis and wallabies

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoByTrace View Post
    Gorgeous seascape. And what really tops it off for me is the texture in the water. It's not silky smooth, there's a bit of ripple/movement. What's also interesting is that it is one of those where you think about the rule-of-thirds, but then ignore it so far as the horizon is concerned. I think the horizon is in just the right place.

Also an excellent bit of work with the flash. The flowers are really popping out of the image.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Trace,

I really like the seascape too -- just not sure if I agree with Doanld about the crop though. Hope you don't mind, but I've quickly run it through the system to see if this slightly alternate edit might also appeal?

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Hi Trace

I like images 1 and 2 the best - very nice. The wallabies are fine but they don't stand out against the mud very well.

As far as the crop of 1 is concerned, initially I agreed with Donald's assessment. But then when I saw Colin's version, I thought it added depth to the image.

Dave

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Trace,

I really like the seascape too -- just not sure if I agree with Doanld about the crop though. Hope you don't mind, but I've quickly run it through the system to see if this slightly alternate edit might also appeal?

Y'know what can be really annoying? He's usually right!

I stand corrected, Sir. Never saw this crop when I was looking at it.

Real Name
    Trace

Hi Trace,

Hi Donald and Colin... thanks for your comments! And I've been just as indecisive in my preferences. I have a few photos where I framed the scene leaning more to the thirds with closer to 2/3 sky and less water, but none of those made my "cut". I did process a second photo taken a few minutes after this one which was also horizon on the 1/2, but it has "Colin's" crop... I've been sitting staring at the two for a while trying to decide which I preferred. And to be honest... I still don't know LOL! The second photo had an even darker reflection of the cloud in the right corner, so I decided to crop as it felt unbalanced to the right. And I definitely prefer it cropped... but then going back and forth between the two I'm still not sure.
    I'll look again with fresh eyes tomorrow perhaps.

As for the frangipani... thanks Donald. Though to be honest I'm still not 100% sure I could duplicate it

Real Name
    Jim

That seascape is breath taking. I like the crop

Real Name
    Trace

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Hi Trace

I like images 1 and 2 the best - very nice. The wallabies are fine but they don't stand out against the mud very well.

As far as the crop of 1 is concerned, initially I agreed with Donald's assessment. But then when I saw Colin's version, I thought it added depth to the image.

Dave
    Thanks Dave.... and yes, the wallaby photos are really only here for the cute/novelty factor.

Real Name
    Toņo

Hi Trace

My photography skills in no way come closer to Colin's, but in this case I have to say I'm not sure if I prefer his edit.

The mirrorlike effect you created on the first image is very nice and interesting. And it also contains the nice ripples on the water that Donald was talking about.

Anyway it is an beautiful image. The shot paid well your effort of getting up on time to capture a magnificent sunrise.

For some reason I find sunrises more difficult for me than sunsets...

Toņo

Real Name
    Graham Heron

G'd morning Trace
    As most above, I like the first image the most (and a lot at that), definintely prefer the crop. Immediately I saw it I thought the same as Colin even before I scrolled down.
    Also, a reflection is usually darker than the object (sunrise in this case). And as that is not the case, I feel that it is subtly off balance. The colours in the sky are great, and darkening down the water would increase the saturation in the reflection and complement the sky more.
    Graham

Real Name
    Edwin

Hi Trace,

Nice one Colin, the re-edit & border make it pop. I really love the colours in this capture Trace. We are so blessed to live here in "The Land Down Under"
    Cheers.......Edwin.

Real Name
    Bobo

1 and 2 for me. Beautiful shots.

Real Name
    james

Stunning seascape! ... wish I coul;d make flowers look like that

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Love the flower it really pops, and donald's crop on seascape well done!