Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Something wrong with my Canon 70 200 f4 IS?

Something wrong with my Canon 70 200 f4 IS?

Hello All,

I just got the canon 70-200 f4 IS in the mail, which was ordered used from ebay from a top seller. I took all the precautions necessary to ensure that I wouldn't get a lemon, it was a buy it now item, and I paid a good price, not a bargain deal (not saying all bargain deals are crap).

The sample shots are nice as expected. I sold a heavier 70 200 2.8 to get this lighter f4 as I wanted the less weight and IS.

The only problem I have is when i give the lens a gentle sake, when not attached with the camera (or attached), I hear element moving inside. It is not bad, but I just hear something shifting here and there. It is not the case with my new 24 105, when I shake there is hardly any sound. Is it possibly the lens element coping up with the shake? Is it normal?

If you have the same lens, and if you gently shake it do you hear some noise from the lens?

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
    Kaustubh

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Something wrong with my Canon 70 200 f4 IS?

A quick couple of tests

1. Remove the lens collar / mounting foot, and see it if still rattles

2. Hold the switches in place and see if it still rattles.

The lens rattles without the lens collar as well. The rattle seems to be coming from right under all the IS, focusing switches.

Real Name

Sounds like the IS unit isn't caging; not sure if this is normal behaviour for an EF70-200mm F4 IS USM or not.

So I googled it and found that the problem is prevalent even with brand new ones. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=459534

Strange that is exists in a top of the line lens. Thanks Colin for the input.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by diogenesdenepa View Post
    So I googled it and found that the problem is prevalent even with brand new ones. http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=459534

Strange that is exists in a top of the line lens. Thanks Colin for the input.
    Sounds like it's not so much a "problem" as it is "normal" (for whatever reasons!).

Real Name
    Ted

Yep. A little rattling sound when shaken on my 20 month old 70-200 f4 IS.

Real Name
    Neil

Mine rattles, slightly, as well and since I've had it for ages and it takes pin sharp pictures I am certainly not going to worry about it. As Colin says it appears to be normal.

Real Name
    Mel Timtiman

Mine rattles too even though I had it serviced at a Canon Service Center just over a month ago.

Real Name
    Dan

It's hard to know without hearing yours, but I think some degree of noise is normal. Mine (purchased new) has always done it. My 100/2.8 L macro does too, although less. If the lens (including IS) functions well, I would not worry about it.