Thread: From a Moving Boat

Real Name
    Diane

From a Moving Boat

Two more pictures of Herons from Rio Lagartos. I like the way the Herons are almost blending with their surroundings, one fishing and one hiding. I'm disappointed in that it seems again, things are a little soft. This will probably be the last set I post from this past vacation as I plan to take things I've learned from these and use it on more local pursuits. These were shot with my Nikon D3100, they were not shot in RAW but JPEG and I had used the auto setting on my camera. Most of the editing was done with photoshop elements 9.

From a Moving Boat

From a Moving Boat

Thanks
    Diane

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: From a Moving Boat

Quote Originally Posted by DianeD View Post
    ... they were not shot in RAW but JPEG and I had used the auto setting on my camera.
    Oh, you bad person. Go and stand in the naughty corner.

Quote Originally Posted by DianeD View Post
    ... this will probably be the last set I post from this past vacation as I plan to take things I've learned from these and use it on more local pursuits.
    You're redeemed.

That's the most crucial bit of it - learning from the experience and using that to improve and develop.

Yes, shooting from a boat is always tricky, Diane, particularly when using a decent sized zoom.

High shutter speed is essential but so often that comes at the expense of aperture and/or high ISO.

I have successfully shot with 500 mm but the only way it worked was to set up manually, after a few test shots, including manual focus. Then keep shooting as the subject 'passed the viewfinder' as the boat rolled. Auto focus is often impossible.

It is amazing how much a small boat moves, even on a calm day, when using big zooms.

Real Name
    james

Diane I love the Heron surrounded by leaves in 2, But I think the camera may have focused on the leaf in front of the bird, that happens to me alot.