Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Are You Ready?

  1. #1
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,152
    Real Name
    John

    Are You Ready?

    Are you ready?



    New Design Ideas


    Take a look at Windows 8 and one will find a host of design changes to the operating system, including the so-called “tile” layout. If that design choice pans out, Microsoft could very well force Apple to respond with something similar in Mac OS X. And Apple is one of those companies that doesn’t like having its hand forced by any competitor.
    Are You Ready?

    Just when you were getting used to the last upgrade.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Hobart, TAS
    Posts
    212
    Real Name
    Eugen

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Definitely not ready to "beta-test"

    It will be a while till I'll decide to go to Win 8 - it needs to get a bit older and to have some of it's bugs fixed first. After that - why not?

  3. #3
    Fit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota USA
    Posts
    420
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Apple's already responded by being there first. 8 is a response to the ipad success and Apple already has an OS in mind the further develops it as pc based...

  4. #4
    herbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sussex, UK
    Posts
    471
    Real Name
    Alex

    Re: Are You Ready?

    From what I had previously read Windows 8 is a nice front-end to Windows 7. It has been designed with touch screens in mind. However you can always switch back to a standard desktop layout if you want. Then it functions just like Windows 7.

    I do not think it will be that relevant for a desktop PC. However for a touch screen device then it will be very nice. You can flick through your common applications, move them around with your fingers and generally interact with it to do common multi-media tasks much faster.

    We will have to wait for some Windows 8 tablets to come out to see how it compares to the latest incarnations of the iPad and Android.

  5. #5
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,152
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    Definitely not ready to "beta-test"

    It will be a while till I'll decide to go to Win 8 - it needs to get a bit older and to have some of it's bugs fixed first. After that - why not?
    I agree, and judging by the graphics this version will be an even bigger memory hog than Windows 7.

  6. #6
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,152
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    From what I had previously read Windows 8 is a nice front-end to Windows 7. It has been designed with touch screens in mind. However you can always switch back to a standard desktop layout if you want. Then it functions just like Windows 7.

    I do not think it will be that relevant for a desktop PC. However for a touch screen device then it will be very nice. You can flick through your common applications, move them around with your fingers and generally interact with it to do common multi-media tasks much faster.

    We will have to wait for some Windows 8 tablets to come out to see how it compares to the latest incarnations of the iPad and Android.
    It's a good thing they are giving you options, Winodws 7 needs at least 4GBs of memory, I can imagine how much would be needed for this graphics intense version. I've had Windows 7 for about six months and would like to get acquainted with this version before having to take the leap forward.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Currently exiled in Ireland
    Posts
    56
    Real Name
    Neil

    Re: Are You Ready?

    It's a good thing they are giving you options, Winodws 7 needs at least 4GBs of memory
    Not sure why you think that I have Windows 7 32bit running very happily on on an elderly Dell Inspiron laptop with 2 gig of RAM

  8. #8
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,152
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    Not sure why you think that I have Windows 7 32bit running very happily on on an elderly Dell Inspiron laptop with 2 gig of RAM
    It's needed to run memory intense programs such as PSE8 and my RAW converter without shutting down all other programs.

  9. #9
    Black Pearl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Whitburn, Sunderland
    Posts
    2,342
    Real Name
    Robin

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Apple have had something similar to tiles since Lion came out last year.
    Launchpad gives your iMac an iPad/iPhone style layout with all of your applications available and customisable. If you have a Trackpad then it can be launched via a simple gesture - its brilliant and I use it regularly.

    Are You Ready?

    Oddly one of the criticisms I've heard about W8 is the lack of a Start/Home button - again Apple don't have this and in the year I've owned a Mac I've never missed it.

  10. #10
    Glenn NK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    1,510

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Am I ready for Win 8?

    Not only NO, but hell no. I'm just getting my photo computer set up with Win 7.

    Glenn

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Currently exiled in Ireland
    Posts
    56
    Real Name
    Neil

    Re: Are You Ready?

    It's needed to run memory intense programs such as PSE8 and my RAW converter without shutting down all other programs.
    So its actually not Widows 7 that needs the RAM, its a bit disingenuous to infer its the OS that's at fault, remember also that 32 bit Windows can only address 4mg and of that only around 3.3 mg is actually available for use

  12. #12
    Shadowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    WNY
    Posts
    31,152
    Real Name
    John

    Re: Are You Ready?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    So its actually not Widows 7 that needs the RAM, its a bit disingenuous to infer its the OS that's at fault, remember also that 32 bit Windows can only address 4mg and of that only around 3.3 mg is actually available for use
    Not really, I am only stating what is needed to run Windows 7 and additional software with available resources. Upgrading to an OP system that uses more intensive graphics means that Windows 8 would need the additional memory.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •