Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch

Real Name
    Tito Pieczanski

Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch

I have recently purchased a Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch monitor that I am returning because it has a green cast that I could not eliminate with profiling or using any of the preset alternatives that the monitor offers. This cast is most obvious with black and white pictures that appear as if toned. I tried cs5 and silver efex with the same results. Prints however are OK. My previous cheap monitor did not have this problem. I calibrate my monitor with i one match. I had it for 4 years . Any thoughts? Anyone with similar problems?
    I like the monitor and when working in colour it is not as bad. If there is a solution I would like to keep it.
    I would also appreciate suggestions about possible monitors within the 400-500 dollars budget.
    On further testing it looks as if the green colour is much more evident when using photoshop, Webpages and for example if I look at the picture with picasa, dont look as greenish.
    TITO PIECZANSKI
    Last edited by Tito Pieczanski; 22nd February 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Real Name
    Alex

Re: Dell UltraSharp U2410 24-inch

Hi Tito,

What mode are you using for the monitor? My Dell U2711 has Standard, Multimedia, Game, Warm, Cool, Adobe RGB, sRGB and Custom. I use Standard (but you could use Custom too). My calibration has set the Brightness to 10 and the Contrast to 53. I calibrate to D6500 with Luminance 100 Candelas per Meter squared.

If you cannot get rid of the cast with different modes then a return may be the best option. Otherwise it will just annoy you.

Alex

Real Name
    Tito Pieczanski

Quote Originally Posted by herbert View Post
    Hi Tito,

What mode are you using for the monitor? My Dell U2711 has Standard, Multimedia, Game, Warm, Cool, Adobe RGB, sRGB and Custom. I use Standard (but you could use Custom too). My calibration has set the Brightness to 10 and the Contrast to 53. I calibrate to D6500 with Luminance 100 Candelas per Meter squared.

If you cannot get rid of the cast with different modes then a return may be the best option. Otherwise it will just annoy you.

Alex

Real Name
    Tito Pieczanski

Thank you for your reply.
    I will give it another try before sending it back, following your suggestions.
    One more question. The monitor has several options to connect to the computer (HDMI, USB ETC) Which one do you use? Just in case it makes a difference.

TITO PIECZANSKI

Real Name
    Neil

Hi Tito
    I have just got a U2410 and I love it, no cast at all and great colours. I calibrated it using a profile from here http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm
    while I wait to get a replacement for my elderly Spyder 2 which is incompatible with it.

I think you must have got a bad one I would send it back as Alex said you will never really get used to it

Real Name
    Alex

Hi Tito,

I use a display port cable. However it should not make a difference unless you have a 10-bit signal from your graphics card. This only works using display port connection.

Note that I do have software and hardware that supports a 10-bit signal from source to monitor. However I could not see the difference and it only works from full screen rendering using Open GL. Not really worth it. When the rest of the world catches up (in 15 years) then I will be ready with my PC for the 10-bit revolution.

I think wide gamut monitors are more likely to have a revolution first. However they have little support from software companies and cause a lot of problems if you are unaware. This is because most software is not colour managed and just assumes sRGB will be fine. On a wide gamut monitor this causes colour shifts most noticeable in extreme saturation of reds. Your eyes can adapt to the shifted colours for most software but for images it is essential they look right (the red shift affects skin tones). So if you do stick with a Dell then you should use Firefox as your browser and set the colour management to 'always on' as shown in this page:

http://www.gballard.net/firefox/

This tells Firefox to convert all untagged images to your monitor profile and not assume sRGB for your monitor. Also note that to get this to work on my PC required that I use an ICC v2 matrix-based profile. The default one supplied by Dell works. But a table-based v2 profile made by my profiling device did not work.

Hope you can get the monitor sorted.

Alex

Real Name
    Neil

One more question. The monitor has several options to connect to the computer (HDMI, USB ETC) Which one do you use? Just in case it makes a difference.
    I use the DVI connection.

Real Name
    Tito Pieczanski

Quote Originally Posted by Neelly View Post
    I use the DVI connection.
    I am grateful for all the answers.
    One last question before going to the post office to return it, (a real nuisance).
    Do colours shift if the monitor is on, lets say, for half an hour?
    TITO PIECZANSKI

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Tito Pieczanski View Post
    I am grateful for all the answers.
    One last question before going to the post office to return it, (a real nuisance).
    Do colours shift if the monitor is on, lets say, for half an hour?
    TITO PIECZANSKI
    Tito

When I use my Spyder 3, the instructions say to have the monitor on for at least 30 minutes before running the tool. But I do not think that this point will explain the severity of the problem that you seem to be experiencing.
    Last edited by Donald; 23rd February 2012 at 09:55 PM.

Real Name
    Pierre

It may not hurt to contact Dell first. They may be aware of the issue and have a solution for you.

Real Name
    Neil

Hi Tito I can across this which may be of interest. Its a pdf download from the Datacolor Support site entitled Red Push which may explain some things. I know it refers to SpyderTV Pro but is interesting nevertheless.
    http://support.datacolor.com/index.p...nloaditemid=59