Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Need Help with Lens selection

Real Name
    Ted

Need Help with Lens selection

Hi I am a new member> I have Canon 60D. I have to two lively grandsons and I would like a fast lens.
    About 85mm. About $500 Australian Dollars
    Thanx ted from Downunder

Real Name
    Tommy

Re: Need Help with Lens selection

Hi Ted and welcome to CiC.

I use the Sigma 50mm f/1.4 on my Nikon and love it. It's very fast, very sharp and I love the creamy bokeh it delivers.

You can read a review here...

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_50_1p4_c16/

Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Richard

Ted,

Which lens are you currently using and what is the drawback for your style of shooting? You mention needing a faster lens. Is that in anticipation of shooting indoors without flash?

I am not sure of the prices in OZ but, I suspect that you could get BOTH a 50mm f/1.8 lens and a 430EXii flash within your budget.

Shooting with bounce flash and a diffuser/reflector provides natural looking imagery and is very versatile.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Ted,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

Can I ask what iso you are using(?) with your current lens(?) and why you think a faster lens, with inherently less Depth of Field, will solve the problem? (ok that was about 3 questions in one sentence, sorry)

Perhaps even post a sample 'unsuccessful' shot?

Cheers,

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Ted,

Which lens are you currently using and what is the drawback for your style of shooting? You mention needing a faster lens. Is that in anticipation of shooting indoors without flash?

I am not sure of the prices in OZ but, I suspect that you could get BOTH a 50mm f/1.8 lens and a 430EXii flash within your budget.

Shooting with bounce flash and a diffuser/reflector provides natural looking imagery and is very versatile.
    I am currently using the kit lenses that come with it the 55-250 and 28-85 3.5f-5.6. I am thinking of the canon 50mm f1.4.
    I would like to be able to do my daughters oncoming weddings without much flaw use.
    Cheers Ted

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Ted,

Welcome to the CiC forums from me.

Can I ask what iso you are using(?) with your current lens(?) and why you think a faster lens, with inherently less Depth of Field, will solve the problem? (ok that was about 3 questions in one sentence, sorry)

Perhaps even post a sample 'unsuccessful' shot?

Cheers,
    ISO between 100 400 the lenses are the kit ones 28-55mm f3.5 5.6 and infrequently the 55-250mm f3.5-5.6. I am thinking of the canon 50mm f1.4 I want to use it for the upcoming weddings of my daughters and portraits of my grand sons who when they see a camera run.
    Cheers Ted

Real Name
    Mavourneen

I agree with RockNGoalStar...50mm F1.4 ....good price and great value, good in low light and with the 60D should be able to capture good shots of your grandson.