Thread: Duncan in high-key (just another baby picture)

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

Duncan in high-key (just another baby picture)

I have been having a rough time with Photography lately. Maybe it’s the motivation, maybe its the weather. So I guess when all else fails I’ll just take a small child and snap away. This is my son Duncan taken with a Tokina 90mm Macro, off camera flash bounced off the ceiling. Processed in Lightroom to reflect a high key image. Thanks for viewing any criticism, good or bad are welcome.

Please view in lightbox.

New Shot...

Well I gave the Highkey another shot.

I must admit i'm a little frustraited. I'm having some difficulties with my flash photography. This attempt was my first with a DIY beauty dish (see how I made the dish HERE It seems that my flash is firing, however it is not synced with the shutter 50% of the time. So i'm getting very under exposed shots. I have it off camera and not tethered. I'm using a D7000 with a SB700 speadlight and a Nikon SG-3IR IR Pane (this is a piece of plastic over that covers the on camera flash) If anyone has any experience using this type of set up let me know. ( I may re post this in a tech thread)

As it stands though this is what I got tonight. (that I like)
    Last edited by KTHXBAI; 26th February 2012 at 02:51 AM. Reason: 2nd Attempt

Real Name
    Steve

Re: Duncan in high-key (just another baby picture)

I like it.

Hopefully a more knowledgable person will post soon, I make a terrible critic I'm afraid.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Michael,

I like the concept, but the triangle formed by shoulder, chin and arm has created a large black hole, this might be minimsed by shooting from a fraction lower.

I would also have shot from further to your right, to minimise nostril hole size.

Waiting until Duncan had his mouth closed would have been better, I'd suggest.

However, I am no baby shooting expert either - I am just assessing what I see here.

I do like the tones in the rest of the image though, nicely processed.

I hope it helps,

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

@Steve, Thank you! (I find it ironic that I just said your image may be too white and then I go and post a high key image )

@Dave Thank you I think you nailed it with the comment on the shooting angle. I was having some problems with the angle as others I didnt post made his melon look huge (not that that doesn't run in the family). I think I will give it a re-shoot this evening and I will re-post to this to see if I can make those adjustments. Hopefully Mom will be able to help as that was a major hindrance in trying these. I could only tell him beauty was pain for so long.

Thank you both again.

Real Name
    Mal

I'm don't have anything to add over what Dave has suggested. The high key effect works well so I'll look forward to your next posts.

Real Name
    Michael Farrand

bump. added new shots to post with 2nd attempt.