Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobile 101

Real Name
    Jon

Re: Mean green

Made it back for the low angle shot today. Now he has a minivan parked tight next to the '47. I just can't win. Got a couple but not real happy. Still waiting on the R8.
    Automobile 101
    Automobile 101
    Automobile 101

Tried not to get the minivan or the building behind and to the left...but not a whole lot of choices.

Re: Mean green

Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Made it back for the low angle shot today. Now he has a minivan parked tight next to the '47. I just can't win. Got a couple but not real happy. Still waiting on the R8.

Tried not to get the minivan or the building behind and to the left...but not a whole lot of choices.
    Looking good, I totally understand finding a good angle. You may want to try an early morning/late evening shot to cut down on some of the harsh light projected on the 47.

Evo/International:
    Automobile 101
    H/O 5.0:
    Automobile 101

Thanks
    Ryo

Real Name
    Graham

Re: Automobile 101

Australia Day 2012.
    On Australia day the car clubs are invited to display their cars in the streets of Sydney. This is the first year I have been able to get there. It is very busy so the shots are what they are....

There is nothing like a big Healey. Austin Healey 3000.
    Automobile 101

MG siblings TF and TC.
    Automobile 101

Jack Brabham's dirt track midget... Where it started.
    Automobile 101

Buick Straight 8 a very regal barge. As a small boy I was car sick in one of these many times.
    Automobile 101

A red Corvette.. what might have been..
    Automobile 101

MG Racing Car with young enthusiasts, and owner in the background dressed for the part.
    Automobile 101

Any suggestions for improvement welcome.

Graham

Graham, what an awesome tradition, I shall have to come see that for myself. Overall good images, I would watch for the focus. Esp in the last one where the young lad is just out of focus. With events like this you could take all your images, and give a great insight to how life in Sydney is. Much like street photography but with cars and people. << not sure if that came out right.

Working on a new technique:
    Original: (Taken by a friend on another forum)

Automobile 101

and Edited:

Automobile 101

Process started with importing the image, set the levels, clean up the ground and other bits. Next was to duplicate layer, convert to BW. Drop opacity to 93%. Added a mask, painted back in the brakes. Did some midtone dodge and burn on the body panels. Next I added an Adjustment layer for Levels, and slowly worked each color to my liking (giving it the blueish/purple hue), Finally added in new layer gradient to bring your eyes back on target.

Thanks
    Ryo

Real Name
    Jon

Ryo - Impressive...as always. You continue to amaze me. I liked the original...but I REALLY like your edited version. Well done.

Real Name
    Graham

"Overall good images, I would watch for the focus. Esp in the last one where the young lad is just out of focus."
    Thanks Ryo,

The 26th Jan is a good time to visit.

I agree, but the focus was purposely on the MG radiator, I tried to get the depth of field but in reality the "girl" in the picture was a bonus.

I have been doing a bit of street photography lately so I will approach it differently next year. There is a Tasman Cup historical meeting on later this year I will practice there.

Graham

Real Name
    Marquis

Cool stuff guys! I'm gonna post one I took at Long Beach this year for the Indycar Grand Prix. I was mainly focused on capturing the motion and speed of the cars. Since I was sitting in the grandstands and without a real zoom lens I wasn't able to really go and see the cars up close. I do like this image because I was able to get a good sense of speed and the car was clear! It's one of the few that I think came out well. I'll post a few more later on but It's late and I want to show this one first.
    Automobile 101

Jon, thanks sometimes I can see where I would take an image. Not often with my own, but when I see a great shot....

Graham, one of these days I really want to travel to Australia. It is really cool to see a champ like Brabhams Formula one car. I also forgot to ask about the lens used, most of the shots seem very wide-angle. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Marquis, Great shot, you got that one spot on. I really like the feeling of motion.

Ryo

Real Name
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Ryogenetic View Post
    Graham, one of these days I really want to travel to Australia. It is really cool to see a champ like Brabhams Formula one car. I also forgot to ask about the lens used, most of the shots seem very wide-angle. I look forward to seeing more from you.

Ryo
    Ryo,

I need some of your Photoshop skills. the lens I used was a Canon EF 24-105L, they were shot at between 24 and 30mm.

Just for you, though normally I wouldn't post a photo like this....

Automobile 101

This was shot at the 2010 Tasman Revival Meeting. I just set the camera on auto and let it do its thing while I watched through the view finder and listened to the sound. It is the car Denny hulme won the 1967 World Championship in. Jack's 1966 car was there too. Canon EOS 1DsMk111 EF 50 1.4 f8 1/2000 ISO 400

They have a Tasman Revival every 2 years. This year there is one in November I think.

Graham

Graham, Thank you it is really cool to see GP/F1 history from around the world. I think that the international flavor of CiC is what makes it great.

Here is a 2800CS from coffee and cars today:

Automobile 101

Got some more editing to do more to follow

Thanks
    Ryo

Lambo/Lotus:

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Cross processing, I cant seem to find a technique that works on these so.... the harsh late morning light really kills things...

Thanks
    Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 25th June 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Rest of the 2800CS:

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Again colors just not working with my, need to go get some shots with early morning light, or late evening. 1st and 3rd are 3 shot HDR.

Thanks
    Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 25th June 2012 at 12:30 PM.

The Judge:

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

It would be so nice if I could get this thing to a better location, early in the morning. Still trying new processing techniques. Pretty happy with the vintage feel of the interior shot. Been working a lot of HDR, not noticing the final being any better than a single shot version. Perhaps there is a time to use HDR, like the end of the golden hour, or when shadows from surrounding objects protrude into the scene to much?

Thanks
    Ryo

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Been working a lot of HDR, not noticing the final being any better than a single shot version. Perhaps there is a time to use HDR, like the end of the golden hour, or when shadows from surrounding objects protrude into the scene to much?
    HDR doesn't do much but increase the post processing workload when the scene doesn't have a wide contrast range. It works best with really high contrast scenes such as indoor shots where the windows would be just a bright blob if the exposure is set for the interior of the room or shooting directly into the sun at sunset. You still need to do a fair amount of post processing but now you are getting some benefits not otherwise available.

Top tip thanks Frank.

Working on some editing, took the camera out last night:

Before:

Automobile 101

After:

Automobile 101

Biggest thing is the cloning out all of the little bits as a first step after setting the levels. Played around with a bit of selective coloring, added a BW and then painted back in the car, grass, sky and tree.

Thanks
    Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 27th June 2012 at 11:56 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Biggest thing is the cloning out all of the little bits as a first step after setting the levels. Played around with a bit of selective coloring, added a BW and then painted back in the car, grass, sky and tree.
    Nice job Ryo. Cutting down that many wires is a pain in the patootie!

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Nice job Ryo. Cutting down that many wires is a pain in the patootie!
    For wire against the sky, change the spot healing brush mode to proximity match (default is content-aware in CS5), it works miracles.

Finally finished the repairs (Paint and priming done by yours truly....) on the wife's car out for a quick photo shoot in the late last evening. Damage can be seen Here and Here. Unfortunately I still had my 25mm on, but I was able to see where I wanted the car in the frame, so I snapped away. Wonderful pink/blue sky:
    I will do the before and after for each...

Automobile 101

This edit was about 12 layers, attempting to make the street lamp light look real...This one was a lot of fun to work on
    Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Automobile 101

Used similar editing on all three, the first two I added a gausian on the first and a surface blur on the second, to get the colors pink colors from the sky to pop a bit, I adjusted the levels individually in Red, Green, Blue.

Thanks
    Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 2nd July 2012 at 12:14 PM.

Work in the garage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awesome capture, Gina!! and welcome to CiC. love the Stanced VDub with a roof rack!!! Wonderfully staged and executed to catch the sparks flying.

Ryo

Bit more pop on image 4:

Automobile 101

Thanks
    Ryo

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast