Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Kingfisher

Real Name
    Pat

Kingfisher

Hi Folks,
    Have recently been watching a pair of kingfisher's but the weather hasn't been to good,howeverI was able to get a few shots the other morning before one man and his dog frightened them off.I have croped to give a portrait orientation but am not sure that it works.I would be most appreciative of your critique and comments.
    Best Wishes Pat,

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Re: Kingfisher

good capture of a great bird,pity about foreground but well worth getting up that early
    Chris

Real Name
    Trev

I've been after a shot of Kingfishers for ages so I am very jealous, lovely captures of a lovely bird, nice one

Real Name
    Tommy

It's one of my favourite birds and I too am very jealous that you managed to get so close to them. They are magnificent.

As for the crop, could you post the uncropped images? I think I'd get rid of some of the foreground concrete and perhaps give a bit of room to the right and top, where the bird is looking / facing. I just feel the bird needs a little bit more room in which to 'breathe'.

Great sharpness! Thanks for sharing!

I think, Pat, I would try cropping the first one very slightly to reduce a bit of the top and left side.

Personally, I don't mind the concrete as it gives a new twist to the classic kingfisher shots.

I sometimes see them on the local fish quay pontoon, or flying past, but I have yet to photography one. The trouble is they always see me at the same time I see them. So they are gone before I even think about a photo.

Real Name
    Mavourneen

Those are beautiful birds and lovely captures. The colors are bold, did you boost the saturation?

Real Name
    Paul

I too am jealous, hard little bird to find around here and super wary and quick! Nice job. I agree with the crops suggested above so I will leave you with this....if another chance arises being it sounds as if you have a pair that you watch regularly.....try to get a little lower, the first shot is close but I think cropping and getting the room needed may be easier if you were to get a little lower angle. I know easier said than done. As they are, fantastic color and spot on for sharp. Beautiful!

I am not dicounting the fact that you did get low....just a little lower I think.

Real Name
    Tim

I like the mossy concrete with the orange. Maybe a little over saturated. I would also like to see the uncropped picture.

Real Name
    james

beautiful work Pat! I stay jealous.

Real Name
    Pat

Many thanks to you all for your input and comments.With regard to the question of saturation I applied an overall amount of +10which is the kind of standard I think, maybe a bit too much for these.As the shots were being taken I had in mind that the images would be cropped.Here they are straight out of camera with no pp applied.Best Wishes,Pat

Kingfisher

Kingfisher

Real Name
    Wayne Turner

Great shots Pat, do you know the species? They look a little like our Azure Kingfishers down under. I'd crop them a little less myself and keep them in a landscape. It would be good to see the comparison.

Real Name
    Bernard Boyle

great shots Pat,been trying for months to get a half decent photograph of Kingfisher but just can not get close enough as they always zoom off as soon as there is any movement,well done....