Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Project: Rain Drops

Real Name
    Eugen

Project: Rain Drops

Because I've found myself taking quite often shots of water droplets (rain drops and morning dew) on different objects in early morning - I thought it best to create this thread where to post future pictures.

I find myself quite attracted to these patterns and I think I will pursue the subject for a while.

Right now I am quite limited by my actual lens Canon EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM which is not a macro lens and I can't really go too close, I am thinking to buy something to allow me to get "closer" because I absolutely love this lens.

Here is the first pic taken this morning.

It might look like it is excessively sharpened but it wasn't sharpened at all - the grainy aspect is given by the metallic paint on my car; I did only very small level adjustments in Photoshop and I didn't use the raw image - this is only from the in-camera jpg.

EXIF data:
    Camera Canon EOS 60D
    Lens: Canon EF 24-105 1:4 L IS USM
    Aperture Priority, Metering mode: Pattern, FL 105 mm
    f/22, 1/25s, ISO 100

C&C always welcome.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Project: Rain Drops

Lovely shot. Hope to see more in future.

About getting close - try extension tubes first and see if that gets to what you want. The good thing is even if you do get a macro lens in the future you will want even closer and these extension tubes will still come in handy.

Real Name
    Eugen

Thanks Bobo

Been thinking about close-up lens but now I am considering extension tubes too - any advice which way to go?

Real Name
    Eugen

Nother one from yesterday's batch.
    This is an extreme crop (I guess I kept about 25-30% of the original image).

Real Name
    Eugen

A different approach this time - I took the photo from inside the car.
    I did a minimal PP - levels adjustment - because I didn't really like how the brick colour looked in the original image. I have increased the reds slightly, and I did a little bit of sharpening.

Well the result is not pretty even now because of this "hot chocolate" (to put it "nicely" because another word comes to my mind but that isn't nice at all) colour but I still like the pattern and the combined reflections.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post
    A different approach this time - I took the photo from inside the car.
    I did a minimal PP - levels adjustment - because I didn't really like how the brick colour looked in the original image. I have increased the reds slightly, and I did a little bit of sharpening.

Well the result is not pretty even now because of this "hot chocolate" (to put it "nicely" because another word comes to my mind but that isn't nice at all) colour but I still like the pattern and the combined reflections.

I've taken some rain drop photos, too.- mine are on top of our blue recycling trash can. Taken back in November.
    and
    Photo information:
    Model Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XT
    ISO 200
    Exposure 1/250 sec
    Aperture 4.0
    Focal Length 60mm
    (also, I unfortunately, do not have a DSLR anymore- I only had the above camera as a loner - now, I must save my pennies so I can finally have my own- sigh, it's gonna be a while!...I also edit with the free editing tools that come with Picasa and Picnik)
    Last edited by Captured; 17th February 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Real Name
    Eugen

Nice photos Krisztina, especially the second one where the blue-purple shade is beautiful.

I can see that the narrow depth of field is an issue for everybody ... but still I like this kind of photo.

Here is another one, taken several weeks ago - it's a night shot and the background is the city view. I have brought up the reds because it was the best option to make the droplets in the upper-left corner to stand out.

Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th February 2012 at 09:28 AM.

Real Name
    Krisztina

my favorite one so far!!! I like the pattern of the rain drops- the lights... looks like textured art!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Captured View Post
    (also, I unfortunately, do not have a DSLR anymore- I only had the above camera as a loner - now, I must save my pennies so I can finally have my own- sigh, it's gonna be a while!...I also edit with the free editing tools that come with Picasa and Picnik)
    Hi Krisztina,

If a camera can retain manual control of exposure and shoot RAW, you may be better off with a smaller sensor camera for droplet shots because of the much wider Depth of Field. However, if the camera you have to fall back on is one of the auto only, jpg only ones, then you have my commiserations, as they make life much more difficult.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by enaiman View Post

It might look like it is excessively sharpened but it wasn't sharpened at all - the grainy aspect is given by the metallic paint on my car; I did only very small level adjustments in Photoshop and I didn't use the raw image - this is only from the in-camera jpg.
    Hi Eugen,

Going back to the first in the series, to pick up on something you said; the in camera jpg will have been sharpened (in camera of course). Not sure if there's any control on the amount it applies - another 60D user (or the manual) may be able to help.

It is a small shame there's an unexplained shadow in the top right corner.

I have been following this thread quietly and I think my favourite (so far) is that in post #5.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Eugen

Thank you for your suggestions Dave - the shadow in the upper right corner was because of the taillight.
    I guess I can clone that out; actually I'll start working on it right away

I know that not many people are enjoying this type of photos and they prefer something more "realistic" - I can't help that because I do like it and I am having fun. However any comments or criticism is listened to

I'll post the corrected pic soon.

Dave, you are absolutely right about sharpening because an amount of sharpening is applied to the jpg in camera - I just forgot about that

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Krisztina,

If a camera can retain manual control of exposure and shoot RAW, you may be better off with a smaller sensor camera for droplet shots because of the much wider Depth of Field. However, if the camera you have to fall back on is one of the auto only, jpg only ones, then you have my commiserations, as they make life much more difficult.

Cheers,
    Thank You, Dave. My canon s95 has manual settings and the ability to do RAW images! ... unfortunately, I also only own one computer- it's about 9 years old- HP laptop zv6000- my C: drive is full- Im always getting pop-ups that I have insufficient space and I need to delete old,unused stuff... I think RAW is too big of a file for me to even download- as things are now-everything is suuuuuper slow- and my computer sounds like it's about to die. ... Good news though- we're in the market for a new comp -(we have some monies left over from our tax refund) scary, I have no idea what to get. Always have been a PC user, but I hear Mac is the way to go- especially for creative stuff. I have a lot of research to do for a 1,ooo dollar budget...
    getting a new computer is a priority, then I can figure out ways to save up for a DSLR, and Photoshop, finally!!!!!!

In the mean time, I need to get to know my Canon S95 better, and start sharing more of the photos I take with it. SO much more learning to do!
    Last edited by Captured; 20th February 2012 at 02:51 PM.

Real Name
    Eugen

Here is the edited result:

And a new one from the same batch:

Real Name
    robert

Project: Rain Drops Sometimes there just a few remaining drops on a branch
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 20th February 2012 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Tidied up

Real Name
    Eugen

Lovely pic Robert spot on.

Real Name
    robert

Enaiman, you might look at your "picture style" parameters to adjust your jpeg settings for "sharpness", you can also alter the "contrast" & "saturation" settings; your camera's user manual is a very good source of intimate information on adjusting your camera's settings; i have mated a tack sharp older Canon 70-200 F4L with extension tubes to extend its utility since i don't have the $$ for dedicated macro lens.

Real Name
    Eugen

Thanks Robert for reminding me about "styles".

I've set it long time ago for "Landscape" and forgot about it - maybe I shouldn't forget in the future