Taken over last weekend, in glorious sunshine, maybe light a bit too harsh

Quintessentially England 2

Comments welcome

Lincs1

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Quintessentially England 2

Nice, a picture of an old Ford

More seriously; there's a lot that is 'right' about it.
    I like the basic composition, the light doesn't worry me, taken at the optimum time of day for the location, nice blue sky, etc. It is a classic, well captured, image and I like it a lot.

If I were picky and wanted to change reality to make a better photo, if the concrete edge in bottom right were also a nice grassy bank (as on he left), that would be more aesthetic....

Another option might be to arrange some human or animal content somewhere, but nothing too prominent.

Thanks for sharing such a charming place with us,

Nice typical English village scene, and some rare sunshine to go with it!
    I have to agree with Dave about the concrete ramp, my eye seems to be drawn to it unfortunately.

Also, a question from me as I am still very much a novice at photography, is there a bit of lens distortion making the vertical lines on the right hand side of the photo lean slightly to the right?
    Shot with a zoom lens set at its widest maybe?

Good old England..
    Very nice photo. Thanks for sharing.

an old Ford
    Sorry I can't see my old Galaxy 4x4 in that image

This is a nice stock photo shot and certainly evokes that feeling of a typically English lazy summer after noon. The non-UK members must wonder where all the lager, beer guts and self inflicted tatoos come from

Thank you all for your positive comments.

Lincs1

Hope you didn't mind that I copied and massaged your image in Photoshop CS4. I dug out a bit more shadow detail (Image menu > Adjustments > Shadows / Highlights), then used Curves to darker the tones just under the midtones.
    Quintessentially England 2

Quote Originally Posted by larsjames View Post
    Hope you didn't mind that I copied and massaged your image in Photoshop CS4. I dug out a bit more shadow detail (Image menu > Adjustments > Shadows / Highlights), then used Curves to darker the tones just under the midtones.
    Not at all, you have now got a hallo along the edge of the sky, this is what I was trying to avoid.

LIncs1

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

I have to say I prefer the original, partly for the halo reason, but mostly because if I were stood there, this is exactly what I would see.

It is a bright day with harsh light, so bright that the building's masonry (up close) would hurt your eyes, and you wouldn't be able to resolve the shadow detail, e.g. in the trees on the left.

Perhaps it is because I am used to the english 'light' and architecture, etc. and don't wear sunglasses often, that Lincs1's original just looks right to me. I think I'm trying to say that sometimes we need to see all the detail but at other times it doesn't help. Just my view.

Regardless of that, and as I find so many times here at CiC; even if I don't agree with (in this case) Lars' efforts, I still value them being here because they make me think and express my thoughts (although that maybe of less value to others).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    I have to say I prefer the original, partly for the halo reason, but mostly because if I were stood there, this is exactly what I would see.

It is a bright day with harsh light, so bright that the building's masonry (up close) would hurt your eyes, and you wouldn't be able to resolve the shadow detail, e.g. in the trees on the left.

Perhaps it is because I am used to the english 'light' and architecture, etc. and don't wear sunglasses often, that Lincs1's original just looks right to me. I think I'm trying to say that sometimes we need to see all the detail but at other times it doesn't help. Just my view.

Regardless of that, and as I find so many times here at CiC; even if I don't agree with (in this case) Lars' efforts, I still value them being here because they make me think and express my thoughts (although that maybe of less value to others).
    I would certainly agree with what you are saying hear.

Lincs1

personally i dont think its the light or its harshness thts important here every light conveys a certain mood in such landscapes shots its too much foreground thats taking in too much viewers attention,from the beautiful house and its surrounding beauty one cant have too much sky and too much foreground in such a tight composition this is a pretty tight composition for a landscape shot

Quote Originally Posted by taken View Post
    personally i dont think its the light or its harshness thts important here every light conveys a certain mood in such landscapes shots its too much foreground thats taking in too much viewers attention,from the beautiful house and its surrounding beauty one cant have too much sky and too much foreground in such a tight composition this is a pretty tight composition for a landscape shot
    Thanks very much for your interest and comments.

Lincs1