Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Has The World Gone Mad

Real Name
    Russell

Has The World Gone Mad

Just want to ask the question "In your opinion has the world gone mad?"
    The reason I ask is that yesterday while checking on the latest prices for the LEE big stopper on Ebay there was one selling for over £300+ and still had an hour to go, now I would like the LEE filter but at £300+ when you can buy from the shops when they get them for under £100, I no production at Lee is at the moment very slow but sorry I cannot see the justification of spending £300+ on a filter.
    Am I alone?
    Russ

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

Re: Has The World Gone Mad

No of course you're not alone - I'm every bit as mad as you!

Seriously, it simply takes a mention on a couple of blogs (John Beardsworth - I'm looking at you ) and wham! the prices go up. I had a look at Lees prices and frankly I can do similar things with ND filters from Formatt (not to name names...) with their range of HiTech filters.

I'm fairly convinced we'll see similar things happening with prices for s/h D700 now the D800 has been announced - I think it comes from people criticizing any new features, which then makes people think the older cameras are somehow 'better' and so more sought after.

Go figure..."nowt as strange as folk"

Real Name
    Andrew

The world hasn't gone mad, just your corner. $160 (about 100 pounds) here.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew1 View Post
    The world hasn't gone mad, just your corner. $160 (about 100 pounds) here.
    Please send me a link to the store
    Russ

Real Name
    Bryan

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by BJ Denning View Post
    Thanks, But!!!
    from site Quote:- This item is on heavy backorder with an ETA of up to 6 months.

Real Name
    Bobo

Photography must be a rich man's hobby in Greece eh?

Given it conditon it wont surprise me one bit that suppliers ask for an arm and a leg upfront before sending things over for sale.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Photography must be a rich man's hobby in Greece eh?

Given it conditon it wont surprise me one bit that suppliers ask for an arm and a leg upfront before sending things over for sale.
    Hi, Sorry I don't follow the comment "Photography must be a rich man's hobby in Greece eh?"
    Photography is expensive no matter what country you live in.
    The only reason Geece is in the possition that it finds itself is because of RICH MEN scimming of the top like they do again in any country.
    And the Lee big stopper filter is at the inflated price because of lack of supply and Mans greed in any country you can find one at the moment.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

You're probably right.

However, Lee are not the only manufacturers of Neutral Density filters - I can think of three or four - and if my last order was anything to go by, my suppliers don't seem to have any stock problems.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Interestingly, 'Black & White Photography' magazine here in the UK did a article in GNDs & NDs, including the 10-stop versions, in its latest issue just out.

In relation to the 10-stops, they compared Lee and Hitech and rated them equally. The expectation was that Lee would be the better product, but that was not the reviewer's end result. "I reckon the Hitech Pro Stop 10 is marginally sharper .... The Big Stopper (Lee) has a much less obvious colour cast."

The review also said that the Hitech is a full one stop more dense than the Lee. The reviewer also said that he thought the supply issue with the Lee was being addressed.

The review didn't consider the Singh-Ray Vari ND.

Ian says above that he knows of 3 or 4 manufacturers of NDs. But are there others, apart from Lee and Hitech making things like 10-Stop filters? Cokin doesn't do its 13-stop any longer.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Interestingly, 'Black & White Photography' magazine here in the UK did a article in GNDs & NDs, including the 10-stop versions, in its latest issue just out.

In relation to the 10-stops, they compared Lee and Hitech and rated them equally. The expectation was that Lee would be the better product, but that was not the reviewer's end result. "I reckon the Hitech Pro Stop 10 is marginally sharper .... The Big Stopper (Lee) has a much less obvious colour cast."

The review also said that the Hitech is a full one stop more dense than the Lee. The reviewer also said that he thought the supply issue with the Lee was being addressed.

The review didn't consider the Singh-Ray Vari ND.

Ian says above that he knows of 3 or 4 manufacturers of NDs. But are there others, apart from Lee and Hitech making things like 10-Stop filters? Cokin doesn't do its 13-stop any longer.
    Hi, Actually Donald I was considering the Hitech as they do have them in stock and the price is rather alluring, however I have done some reading and it seems that both the LEE and the Hitech give of a colour cast with the Hitech being a bit more pronounced on the blue side but this can be fixed with WB in PP. I also have tried the the round filters of 10 stops but they are a pain as you have to take them off everytime you want to re-compose or focus a shot, I think companies like Hoya, B&W etc have missed the boat on this one (square filter).
    Russ

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    I also have tried the the round filters of 10 stops but they are a pain as you have to take them off everytime you want to re-compose or focus a shot, I think companies like Hoya, B&W etc have missed the boat on this one (square filter).
    Russ
    You have a point Russ.

I know it might be an issue for UWA and possibly a bit fiddly to use, but why can't they make round ones that attach like a pinch-fit lens cap (would need buttons on outside, preventing use of a lens hood), or perhaps even use a pinch-fit lens cap as the application and removel 'tool' (allowing use of bayonet lens hood), although this would be quite a micro-engineering challenge to manufacture. You read it here first folks

Cheers,

Real Name
    Steve

All used camera stuff is expensive; I've never ever won in an auction since I take the cheapest new price I can find and deduct the tax then make further reductions for warranty, delivery and condition.
    I end up with a top price much less than the winning bidder, sometimes only half as much.

I saw an over 2 year old Jessops speedlight go for over £60 when Jessops had brand new on offer for £72 and free delivery

forgot to add I asked the seller how old it was and she said; 'how was she supposed to know because she bought it second hand over 2 years ago.'

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

I have found the same thing with certain lenses - I'm looking for a 24-70mm Nikkor zoom which is a very nice piece of glass. It sells new here in France for 1450€. Looking through the French fora etc. I regularly come across this lens for sale, usually dating from 2008 or 09 with a price tag of 1200€.

I'm sorry but for a 5 year old lens only 250€ less than one with full warranty and "no careful owners" it's just stupid.

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    You have a point Russ.

I know it might be an issue for UWA and possibly a bit fiddly to use, but why can't they make round ones that attach like a pinch-fit lens cap (would need buttons on outside, preventing use of a lens hood), or perhaps even use a pinch-fit lens cap as the application and removel 'tool' (allowing use of bayonet lens hood), although this would be quite a micro-engineering challenge to manufacture. You read it here first folks

Cheers,
    Dave, even they made a round filter with the 105mm frame like the Lee polarisor to fit on the front ring of the Lee setup
    Russ

Real Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    You have a point Russ.

Cheers,
    Hi Dave,
    The immediate problem that springs to mind is that I have 11 lenses (with 5 different filter threads), which makes for a massive outlay on filters I'm only going to use a few times. Even if I take the view that I'll only use it on Wide Angle lenses, I'll still need 2 filters.
    Until I win the EuroLottery I'll stick with the HiTech which fits all my glass and live (quite comfortably) with the colour cast.

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    just want to ask the question "in your opinion has the world gone mad?"
    yes

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by krispix View Post
    Hi Dave,
    The immediate problem that springs to mind is that I have 11 lenses (with 5 different filter threads), which makes for a massive outlay on filters I'm only going to use a few times. Even if I take the view that I'll only use it on Wide Angle lenses, I'll still need 2 filters.
    Until I win the EuroLottery I'll stick with the HiTech which fits all my glass and live (quite comfortably) with the colour cast.
    What you need is some stepping rings Chris.

http://www.premier-ink.co.uk/photogr...-c-60_404.html

Real Name
    Pierre

The economy does not help much. I have seen a recent article stating that Lee would have the supply issue under control - who knows maybe the economy altered that plan, maybe sellers are holding them??

There is another store in the USA that has them, I am not sure how much help it is for overseas sales though?

uniquephoto.com

Besides photography, I do think the world is on the brink of chaos unless, the "leaders" figure out how to actually lead...

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PBelarge View Post
    The economy does not help much. I have seen a recent article stating that Lee would have the supply issue under control - who knows maybe the economy altered that plan, maybe sellers are holding them??

There is another store in the USA that has them, I am not sure how much help it is for overseas sales though?

uniquephoto.com

Besides photography, I do think the world is on the brink of chaos unless, the "leaders" figure out how to actually lead...
    Hi, It's not just the LEE 10 stop, I posted a request on the forum looking for anyone who may have the surround from a broken Lee 105mm polarizer and as I had no responce I watched a used one for sale on Ebay thinking maybe just over the £100 region, but I was wrong, final price £209 + postage, buy them new at £114 + postage online.
    Russ