Thread: Garden invader

Real Name
    Dave

Garden invader

These are frequent visitors to the garden, so frequent that all the bird feeders have to be in cages, or the seed would disappear even more quickly.

Even though they have never left us any nuts from the hazel tree, they are quite entertaining and provide some fun for the cat.

gs.jpg

As always, all comments welcomed.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 7th February 2012 at 06:06 PM. Reason: added image inline

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Garden invader

Nicely focused, good DoF, nice setting with simple background, spot-on WB. A definite keeper for your "rodent" collection Well done,

Kevin

Real Name
    Mal

Good composition and background I think. Nicely sharp around the head and body too. Ideally I would have liked to have seen the whole tail caught sharp as well I think.

Still a very good capture.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tringa View Post
    As always, all comments welcomed.
    Nice Dave - nice and sharp, nice bokeh, nice'n'noise free

We just gotta train you how to post the big version, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Part 2: How to make an attached thumbnail appear larger and inline
    1. Click the image to make it bigger
    2. Right-click on the image and select "Copy Image Location" (in Firefox) or "Copy Shortcut" (in IE)
    3. Click "Edit Post" and position the cursor where you want the image to appear, then use the "Insert Image" Garden invader icon and Paste (Ctrl+V) the shortcut into the dialog and click "OK"
    4. Click "Save Changes" button.
      (if you attached more than one image, repeat steps 1-3 for each to get the bigger images inline)
    Thanks,

Real Name
    james

Nice pic Dave, I got a bunch of those garden invaders too... lol they are physical trainers for my cat. Sometimes they steal my peanuts though... and thats not so funny. Heres a pic, hope ya dont mind and hope you enjoy.Garden invader

Real Name
    Richard

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Re: Mission Impossible Squirrel

Real Name
    Bobo

Great shots. Good thing about them is one does not have to trudge for hours looking for them.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I should have got the whole tail in the shot.

Thanks for the info Dave. For images I normally link to my Photobucket account, but was just being a bit lazy.

A good shot James. They are quite photogenic characters even if a bit of nuisance.

I remember the You Tube video; wonder how long it took for it to learn the route.

Dave

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by jamn4ex View Post
    Nice pic Dave, I got a bunch of those garden invaders too... lol they are physical trainers for my cat.
    We have 4 cats and hardly any squirrels

but tbh, I'd trade the cat poo in the garden for a few peanuts

Real Name
    Bobo

Not as elaborate as this but around here they now cross roads using the overhead powerlines/telephone poles. Too much roadkill and they learn to get out of harms way very fast.

Real Name
    james

I was just reading the post again Dave and we both cut the tail short . I kinda wanted to ask are most the squirrels predominately grey over there ?

Real Name
    Dave

In many parts of the UK grey squirrels are the most common. They spread well after their introduction about the end of 19th/beginning of 20th century.

They have displaced the red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris) from many areas due to a number of factors - large size, they store fat more effectively in winter and also carry a virus to which they are immune but to which the red squirrel is susceptible.

However, the native red squirrel still occurs in certain areas - the Isle of Anglesey off the north Wales coast, Brownsea Island off the south coast of England but predominantly in Scotland.

The grey does not seem to have spread well further north. It has been suggested that reds cope better in the more common coniferous forests in Scotland than greys and that the reds feed more on smaller seeds eg., birch, rowan, which are more common trees further north.

Sometimes in Britain there is a call for the greys to be culled because they are alien invaders. Apart from the impracticality I think there would be a public outcry against such action.

Although I would support a cull to control greys if they were likely to move into the areas now used by the reds, I'd not like to see a nationwide cull. For a very large percentage of the population greys are what they think about if you say, "squirrel" and, while they are an introduced species, they are now part of the fabric of wildlife over here.

Dave