Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Home printing

Real Name
    Blake

Home printing

I'm thinking about going semi-pro with my photography, but one of the things I'll need to do it is a good photo printer. However, I don't know which one I could get. I'm a student so I'm on a tight budget, so I'll probably be buying used.

I know how dpi works in general, but I also know that there's more to it when it comes to inkjet printers.

So what should I look out for? Any suggestions?

Re: Home printing

If you intend to work to semi pro standards there aren't any cheap home printers I'm afraid.

I just wonder about what you intend to be photographing and does semi pro mean selling your work.

The reason why I ask is because you may find it better to use a professional printing service instead. Not a cheap corner store outlet but one of the experts that handle all of your printing and framing work.

Some of them even dispatch the finished work to your customers and collect the money. Yes, there is a charge but it often isn't as much as you would think for such a complete service.

However I will leave any actual recommendations to those who live closer to you.

Real Name
    Blake

That's a good idea, maybe that will get me by 'till I can afford my own printer.

Real Name
    Glenn Runyan

You might want to consider a Canon 9000MkII: They have been on Craigslist (new) for around $200. Ilford Galerie is well priced up to 81/2 X 11. Although I am an amateur, I sold one of mine at auction last year for US$450!!

Make sure your images are ones that folks will want to buy before investing in a "professional" printer and paper.

Glenn