Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: St Ives at Low Tide

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

St Ives at Low Tide

This image is possibly a bit busy, however St Ives on the north coast of West Cornwall is a very busy place. I would be interested to know how others feel about this image.

Please blow up to actual size to get the best view of this image.

St Ives at Low Tide

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: St Ives at Low Tide

Hi, Chris

Love the image. Yes, it's busy but in the same way a great feast is- lots of intersting stuff and it's all good. Perfect DoF, and spot-on exposure and WB for the gray day. Well done

Kevin

Real Name
    Anne

Lovely colourful and sharp image ... I like how busy it is, it adds interest. Well done

Anne

Real Name
    Frank Miller

It's rare that a really busy photo is also captivating but it certainly looks like you pulled it off with this one, Chris. Great capture! I think what makes it work may be the curved lines created by the 'connect the dots' look of the boats and the small groups of people that can be explored.

Real Name
    Natalie

Really nice. Love the blue tone of it...It made me wonder all sorts of things. LOL! Like when the tide comes in, and you want to get to your boat, how the heck do you get there? I picture all these people running out to their boats and sitting there waiting for the tide to come in so they can go play for a few hours, and then rushing back to "park" their boat and sitting around waiting for the tide to go out so they can go home again! (You will forgive me, I'm so used to boats in a marina that always stay afloat!!) Sorry, I got off on a tangent........ It's one of those images they make puzzles pieces out of....such fun to explore.

Real Name
    Andrew

Nice shot with lots of detail when it's viewed in full size as you suggested. So much to look at. Where's Waldo?

Real Name
    Roger

Chris ... I looked at your other work and results. First class ... and I've some things to learn from looking at it all. Capture and use of complemenatary color here is excellent. But to respond to your question of a busy picture, I would agree that it may be so. Perhaps a closer crop bringing in the edges to remove some of the sea shore and sky and proportionately the sides might leave the same good impression, but lead the eye a little more restfully to the middle? Or does bringing the focus of the picture to the man (center/lower third) standing with his back to us help? You have two (or three) beautiful arcs of boats leading from him to the background. Best regards.
    Last edited by Milehighguy; 6th February 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Real Name
    Allen Conway

I wonder if the 4 boats in the foreground and the bit of quayside aren't a little superfluous to needs, but the sweep of sand on the right is rather nice and it would perhaps be a shame to lose it...

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thank you all for your comments. Allen - I had already cropped as you suggested and up loaded to my web site. I also amended the colour as it had too much of a blue caste on my monitor - copy attached.

St Ives at Low Tide

Real Name
    Roger

Chris ... seems to help tighten things up. The shot is a treat to the eye with all the little red and yellow dots, the flowing sight lines and the various people coupled with the interesting, complex village in the back ground.

Real Name
    Tommy

Hi Chris, I really like the image. I like how busy it is. It's like one of those touristy cartoon pictures you get where there is stuff going on all over it and no matter how long you look at it there is always something else to see!

Very sharp and lovely colours too

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Like Tommy says, that is an image you could look at for hours and still be finding soemthing. But it is not cluttered. It is, I think, a very well crafted and constructed image.

One thing though - the church tower at the left-hand side. It doesn't seem to be vertical. But everything around does seem to be. Is this the leaning tower of St Ives?

Real Name
    Philip

Chris - another very pleasing photograph from you, this time of a lovely Cornish town. As you wrote in post #1, it is bound to be busy - St Ives is such a popular place that it's always busy! I also prefer your second crop in post #9, including the subtle colour change. Two little things I would do if it were mine - 1. A slight clockwise rotation to level the scene, followed by 2. A slight perspective correction to make the buildings on the left vertical. But, as usual, just my opinions.

Philip

Real Name
    Christopher Hotton

Thanks for all your kind words. I will straighten as suggested.

Real Name
    Pierre

I also love this image, and agree with Frank and Donald that it works very well. It is an image one can come back to time and again finding something different. I also like the crop and processing - great work.

Real Name
    Steve

I used to love St Ives because it is a world away from england and even further from London. I like this image because, it reminds me of LS Lowrie and busy people, it is complicated and yet it isn't, it has a freshness of looking through a train window and seeing the world pass by.

It is the sort of thing I wanted to do, to capture everything and let the observer get up close and discover things for themselves.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Chris,

Another good one from you.
    I prefer the improvements in the second over the first - and await the third

I tell you what it reminds me of - a jigsaw puzzle, it would make a good one I reckon.

Cheers,

Real Name
    Bobo

Good use of "busy". I like it very much.