Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Help and Advice Please

Real Name
    Jason

Help and Advice Please

Hi all,

I know I have posted this in the wrong place but I can not figure out how to move it, or if am able to, sorry.

I am after some advice and help with this photo if someone would be so kind. I have moved my operating system to Linux, I felt it was time for some new adventures and learning, and as such am using Gimp and Photivo as my processing tools. I would like to clone out the brown plant the intrudes from the right of picture. I have had a couple of goes at the clone tool and am unable to get a result that I find acceptable. The cloning tool in PS acts a bit differntly in that it shows you the bit you have cloned and you are able to line it up where you want it. I have found the clone tool in Gimp not quite as effective and the results are quite noticable.
    My request is for anyone who may be more familiar with Gimp and have some suggestions on configuring and using the close tool. Any and all advice and feedback is eagerly awaited.

Cheers

J

Help and Advice Please

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: Help and Advice Please

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    Any and all advice and feedback is eagerly awaited.
    Stick with Photoshop

Real Name
    Paul

I can tell you it will take some practice. Change your brush to a large soft edged brush and have at it. Gimp is quite powerful but not super user friendly at times. Good luck.

Real Name
    Dave

J, hope you don't mind that I had a try with your photo.

The result is not great due to my lack of ability and the pattern in the background which makes getting a good result difficult, well for me anyway.

This was done with the clone and healing tools in GIMP.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mal

I think Donald uses Gimp a fair bit. I'm sure he'll be along to offer some advice.

If you use a hard edged clone brush, Jason, instead of a soft edge you will get similar results to what you described. Also, reducing the brush opacity and making several passes before totally removing an area sometimes helps.

Another problem occurs when you try to get close to an area which you wish to retain because the soft edges of the brush will be affecting too wide an area. That is why also using a Healing Brush, as Dave did, can help.

Selecting the Content Aware option can sometimes help. Another method is to carefully place a selection around the difficult edge so that part won't be altered when you get too close with a soft edged clone tool.

There are a number of options which can be equally effective.

Real Name
    Jason

Hey Guys,
    Once again thank you very much for the replies and suggestions. My foray into Linux has not lasted long I am afraid. I spent over half the night trying to get a result I like, but alas it was not to be. I have not given up on Gimp though, I still have it installed and will keep on learning. As for using Linux itself that only lasted as long as it took for me to find out that it was not going to work with my video camera of choice, and when it comes to the family videos I am not brave enough to go up against my wife. I did clone out what I wanted, in PS, well I cloned out a little bit more that I was going to originally, I have attached the end result, any feedback on the image is welcome. Again thank you for helping.

Cheers

J

Help and Advice Please

Real Name
    Mal

I'd be inclined to go in with a tighter crop and perhaps remove that spider web at the back of the flower. Other than that, for me it looks great. Looking at it further, I might even see what it would look like in B&W

Real Name
    Jason

Hey Mal,
    Thanks and thanks for the ideas. As you suggested.

Cheers

J

Help and Advice Please

Real Name
    Mal

Well Kerry and I like it but the real questions is what do you think of it?

Real Name
    Jason

Thanks, well I like it enough to enter it in the latest monochrome mini comp

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Goldcoastgolfer View Post
    I think Donald uses Gimp a fair bit. I'm sure he'll be along to offer some advice.
    Here he is!

I think cloning is probably one of those examples where you go for a way of doing things. There seems no doubt that the cloning-type tools available on the various Adobe products can do much more, more quickly and more technically advanced, than what can be achieved with the GIMP. And that's good ... if that's what you want.

Using the cloning tool in the GIMP is like going back to an earlier era in terms of workflow. It is about a soft brush, patience and adopting a sense of being very active in the creatibe process, as opposed to being a more passive controller of advanced technical software. It is, if you like, maybe more like feeling you're taking a hands-on approach.

And that's all about personal choice (and, for some, finance).

I like doing it the way I do it. I'm sure I'd be very happy to use the Adobe tools if I had them available, but I don't feel any sense of loss becuase I don't and I don't think my artistic endeavours are any lesser becuase of the lack of this advanced software.

And remember, despite the Adobe disciples continually telling us otherwise, there are things that the GIMP can do as well as, if not better than, the Adobe products.

Real Name
    Mal

And doing very well from the looks of things

Real Name
    Mal

And doing very well from the looks of things