Thread: color differences in different shooting modes

color differences in different shooting modes

I was at it again, taking pictures of my baby. Some of you may recall similar pictures that I took that were overexposed. Again, I have some questions. The first pic was taken in portrait mode. The second was taken an Av because I wanted to try and focus on her eyes and can't, or don't know how, to change the focus in portrait mode. Of course, being new to all of this, the colors changed. I love the color in the first group of pictures that I took (before I changed the settings). What would I have needed to do to get similar results. Sorry if my questions are remedial. Your help is appreciated.

(Yes, I realize I did not achieve great focus on her eyes.)

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Re: color differences in different shooting modes

Hi Heather,

The colour is different for 3 reasons. First up, they have different colour temperatures; I've reset the colour temperature of the 2nd so that it's the same as the first ...

Secondly, you've got a slight difference in exposure, and third, I think that the camera is doing something different with the processing as well.

Also, in AV mode, you need to be aware that the camera (by default) will try to expose the background correctly, whilst letting the flash expose the foreground correctly - and if that means dropping the shutterspeed to something that's so low you get camera shake then "so be it" ... in your case the shutterspeed dropped to 1/6th which is far too low - your lucky that you've still got a pretty sharp shot.

For this type of shot you'll probably get a better result in manual mode with the aperture set to 5.6, shutterspeed to 1/60th, and ISO 400 - and pop the flash up.

Does this help?

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Colin, (and Heather),

Just to clarify, in your last sentence, are you saying real "M" manual mode as distinct from "Av"?

Thanks,

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Colin, (and Heather),

Just to clarify, in your last sentence, are you saying real "M" manual mode as distinct from "Av"?

Thanks,
    Hi Dave,

Yes. In Av mode you lose control of the shutterspeed (unless you set a custom function that sets the shutterspeed to X-Sync speed when using flash) - that's why the shutterspeed in Heathers 2nd shot dropped from 1/60th to 1/6th. (Automodes like portrait assume hand-held and won't let the shutterspeed go below 1/60th, but will kick in more flash to compensate).

In manual mode you can choose both shutterspeed and aperture (and ISO), and ETTL picks up the foreground balance; you just need the right settings to start with (which can be the hard part).

A lot of people rubbish the auto modes, but they're actually pretty clever in that they at least get the basics right ... other modes like Av and Manual let you go "above and beyond" and whereas in situations like outdoor shooting you have a lot more lattitude, indoors in a low light situation Av mode can bite you in the rear end because of the low shutterspeeds (the flash can still freeze the foreground action, but in a shot like this there's likely to be a high percentage of ambient light as well, which is subject to potential camera shake).

Thanks for the input. I do realize that my pics definately come out better in the automatic modes but figure that I will never be able to shoot in anything but automatic modes if I don't experiment.

PS. Colin, how did you reset the temperature?
    Last edited by heather4279; 2nd June 2009 at 06:05 PM.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by heather4279 View Post
    Thanks for the input. I do realize that my pics definately come out better in the automatic modes but figure that I will never be able to shoot in anything but automatic modes if I don't experiment.
    I like your approach - a lot of people never graduate from the auto modes, which I think is a shame. Using other modes like Av, Tv, and manual isn't hard - one just has to understand the basics as they apply to the scene you ned to shoot; the camera already understands these, which is what it applies in the auto modes - so don't be intimidated by them!

PS. Colin, how did you reset the temperature?
    Using ACR (Adobe Camera RAW Converter) I just select the white balance eye-dropper tool and click on something that's supposed to be gray or white (I used the bath) and "job done" (pretty easy eh ... who said working in RAW was hard?)

well its a very cute photo no matter how the color comes out....
    you might want to feed your kid more if its that hungry.....

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    well its a very cute photo no matter how the color comes out....
    you might want to feed your kid more if its that hungry.....
    Thanks
    As far as the toes, there were literally sucking sounds. Too funny.

Colin, what would you suggest for me to learn more. Any specific books or the like? I'm also enrolled to take a digital photography class in the fall.

Thanks,
    Heather