Thread: Surprise-surprise!

Real Name
    Chris

Surprise-surprise!

I bought some quite inexpensive (more so because B&H Photo had a sale on them) Nikon Coolpix L24 cameras for my students to do some semi-macro work or product shooting on black plexiglass. The reviews on the camera were quite flattering, and I needed more cameras...so...

I was, at best hoping for some decent clarity, and reasonable sharpness. I was not at all prepared for the results the L24 put out in a quazi macro mode, but here are some of the results. Other than the barb wire shot which is pretty close to real size, everythign else could easily fit in the space you'd get if you covered your forefinger tightly with your thumb.

Surprise-surprise!

Surprise-surprise!

Surprise-surprise!

Surprise-surprise!

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Surprise-surprise!

We don't need no stinkin' DSLRs anymore...

Real Name
    Rogerio Bussad

Gorgeous images...I must be doing something wrong or not being able to use my Nikon Coopix P500 properly cause I don't get these kind of shots in macro.... Beautiful images!

Real Name
    Kathy

beautiful photos! Very inspiring!

Kathy

Real Name
    John

Very nice images.

Real Name
    Natalie

Very nice macro shots. Love the barbed wire. A few years ago, my neighbor gave me her old Olympus C-7000 because she got a DSLR. I got some fantastic macro shots with it, but I had to be very very close to whatever I was shooting.....she later told me she never got anything like that from it when she had it. But I think she didn't know how to use the macro settings. I bought another one on E-bay for my daughter for $40 .........she's been very happy with it, too. Not all good photography has to come from the most expensive DSLR.

Hi,.. can you teach me on what should the correct settings to take macro shots for p500. i wanted really to learn taking nice pictures. but I dont know how to combine the settings ....

thanks,.. appreciate your advise...

Real Name
    Chris

Not at all familiar with the P500, so cannot help you. The L24 is a $79.00 US camera. I bought them because I wanted my students to have some decent macro experience without having to go out and buy expensive Nikkor Macro lenses. I bought the lot of ten for less than a used 105mm.

Here are a couple of more images I made yesterday along with some "play" things from images shot on this camera. Under the right circumstances, itis a quite versitle camera.

Surprise-surprise!

Surprise-surprise!

Surprise-surprise!

Real Name
    Natalie

Not too shabby for a $79 camera for students to learn on. Good job!

Darklein, I'm not familiar with it, either. Did you go to the forum page (Digital Cameras and Equipment) where you can ask if anyone here has experience with that camera? On my Olympus, I set it for Macro (it can be a picture of a flower) I have 3 settings, I set it for the smallest macro, and then I set my camera to spot focus and spot exposure, because I find that works best for the sharpest macro, aim your "spot" where you want the focus to be, press the shutter button half way to focus, shoot. That's the best I can offer. My camera won't allow flash at the smallest setting, so I make sure I have enough light on the subject, you can even use a flashlight on your subject. I will find and post one of my Olympus Macros in the Bugs and Insects thread.

Thanks for feedback... I already purchase this camera, If not I might purchase L24.. you're macro shots were really nice....

Real Name
    Rogerio Bussad

Darklen... I do have a P500 and been very happy with it so far. However, like you, I haven't mastered the MACRO mode as I've been experimenting with it in order to get beautiful pictures like the ones we can see over here... But I can always get back at you with anything new (or improvement) I get to get on macro photos....

Real Name
    Pierre

Wow! I love #2. Just wonderful composition, color, dof and portrait style.