Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Framing the bug with a border

Real Name
    Steven

Framing the bug with a border

Just thought of presenting the bugs with a simple border frame. I use LR to Print the photo to a file, then crop/save it to the appropriate file size format to be posted.

The problem of creating the border this way is that the exif is lost. Anyone uses a different method of adding border to the frame? I would like to hear how you do it?

And please do give your critique on these photos. I would love to hear them.

Thanks

this third photo was added as an after thought to show the side view of the bug
    Last edited by teokf; 3rd February 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: Framing the bug with a border

Very nice shot Steven

My favourite: the first one - can't explain exactly why but I like it more. Others might object that there is too much empty space but not me, I like it the way it is.

Real Name
    Kerry

Amazing photos, and what an inquisitive looking little bug, what is it? I too like the top one And I like the frames.

Real Name
    Paul

Nice work Steven, I prefer the first as well. I think the borders are ok, but feel they may work a little better if you used the redish brown found in the bug rather than black. It may help bring him even more forward. Would love to know just what he is.

Real Name
    Steven

thanks for the comments, it looks like the rule of third works. This bug, "membracidae" is commonly called a tree hopper about 2mm in length.

Paul, from your reply you seem to know about borders. What software do you use to create the border around the frame? Could you share with me? Thanks

Real Name
    Paul

Steven, I use Gimp. Borders in Gimp can be a trick and I tend not to use them anyway. In the past if I where to want a quick easy border for display....I find picasa has a great app through Picnic.

Real Name
    Bobo

Cool shots Steven and the processing is amazing.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Beautiful images, Steven! When I use Photoshop to put on borders my images it doesn't block the EXIF data. Maybe the LR 'print' process has something to do with it?

What software are you currently using, Steven, LR for everything?

Some programmes have a special option for creating borders; otherwise, simply extending the canvas by the required amount on all sides then filling the 'gap' with colour usually works well. May need a little bit of initial thought, but it isn't a difficult process once you understand it.

All 3 are very good. If you can I say change the border colour to the same as the bugs legs.

Real Name
    John

Adding a border in LR is like using the stroke command in PS. There is a color picker and you can use the eyedropper to pick border colors from your image or from a color palatte. If you save the image with the border there is no EXIF data with that image but the EXIF data stays with the original image which still exists in the LR catalog.

Most people use the mogrify plug in if they want to create borders and stay in LR. Here is a link: http://www.photographers-toolbox.com...lrmogrify2.php

Real Name
    Steven

Thanks for all the help, suggestions and link. Definitely improving my learning curve.

Geoff, only LR for the processing.