Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: My, You're a Tall One!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

My, You're a Tall One!

This was an attepmt at getting a tree in focus. Unfortunately, there are too many background branches to effiectively clean up or clone out. Perhaps the branches aren't so bad as they mask the fact that the sky is so bland.

Oh well, I'll get better at it some day if I just keep on trying.

My, You're a Tall One!

Real Name
    Mal

Re: My, You're a Tall One!

Bottom looks pretty sharp but smooths out a bit at the top. Were you trying to get the entire tree trunk in detail?

Real Name
    John

Hi Frank,
    nice shot. I've try this type of shot myself. I notice you shot using F4.5 could you or one of the other, more experienced members advise if something like F16 would be better, if the intention was to get the whole tree in focus.
    Many thanks.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Malcolm. Yes I was trying to get the entire tree in focus and for a range of 5 feet at the close end and close to 100 feet at the other end it was a focus stacking experiment. At that distance my problem was the wind blowing the top of the tree around.

Hi John. I had been unsuccessfully looking for wildlife so I was using a 55-300mm at 1/1000 sec in shutter priority. When I saw the possibility for this image I got sloppy and didn't change the settings. I could say that I was experimenting with focus stacking at a wide aperture but I wasn't able to think of that poor excuse until later!

Had I been smart, I would have swapped to the normal lens, set up a smaller aperture, used manual settings, and mounted the camera on the tripod but I was still hoping to get some bird shots so I left the telephoto on. This is a situation where Richard Crowe has the advantage by carrying two cameras with different lenses with him on photoshoots.

To answer your question, because I was shooting straight up the tree from the trunk to the top, even f32 couldn't have given enough DoF for that kind of a shot, but I might have been able to get this result with 4-6 stacked shots at f16 instead of 25 at f4.5 if I had my wits about me at the time. You are correct though, the smaller aperture would have provided greater DoF.

Real Name
    Mal

Well, at least that explains the choice of focal length and aperture

Real Name
    Frank Miller

I smartened up a little bit for this second attempt, going to 1/250 sec and F8 but still hand held with the 55-300mm lens. I did eventually see a squirrel but couldn't get a good clear shot of him. <sigh> Not my day for wildlife!

If you look closely, you'll see the seed pods on this Gum Tree. These are the same type of seed pod used in Project 52 by Frank Miller.

My, You're a Tall One!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 2nd February 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Real Name
    John

Frank,
    thanks for the explanation, it now make sense. Being quiet new to photograhpy I thought I might have mis-understood things. Many thanks.
    BTW I do like the picture.

Real Name
    Mal

Ah yes - that second one works much better. No problem with going hand held at 1/250. The 18-55 at 18mm will give you a better impression of the tree feeling much taller though I'm thinking.