Thread: Changing Background

Real Name
    Natalie

Changing Background

Was just playing about. I had this photo of a fawn. It had jumped out of the woods onto the lane, when it turned it's head and saw me, it was off like a light. I was lucky. I had my camera aimed into the woods trying to catch a picture of the piebald deer. I had seen it. So I turned and snapped a quick shot.....wish it had stayed a bit longer...
    Changing Background

I didn't like how the background was so busy, so I tried to substitute a background from something I had shot another day. It is "ok" but it has issues. Light is not the same direction. Fawn had been in shadow of a tree, Focus on the background was on the two deer in the back, it should be blurred.....LOL! I also didn't address the flash in the eye. If my mother/daughter/brother looked at it, they would not know it was a composite. But I do, and so do you guys!! If you look at the two deer in the back, one is mostly white: the piebald. She has been in my woods for 5 years now. Hope the hunters leave her alone!
    Changing Background

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Changing Background

I actually like your original photo better.

Kathy

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Could we see the original with the eye fixed? Pretty please?

Real Name
    Natalie

Frankly, you are hard to please. Okay, original eye fixed. I knew changing the background wouldn't fly. Thank you, Kathy, for your honesty, too.

Changing Background
    Last edited by Nat; 1st February 2012 at 04:09 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

LOL! Very nice, Nat! You appear to be very proficient with selections and masking. You might want to try spreading the difference in the brightness and sharpness of the subject and background a little more so that the subject will stand out better. In this case it may not make much difference if the fawn was slightly lighter or darker as long as the background went in the opposite direction.

As an example, take a look at Project 52 by Girish A post #30 and #33.

I prefer your last edit of the first image, Nat, but I would like to crop closer to the head in order to remove most of that distracting green foliage.

Not quite sure how this would work out in terms of aspect ratio though, maybe end up with a 4 x 5 ratio or even a square crop.

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you Frank and Geoff. Hmmm, you may be right about the crop...Still learning/working on it. Will have to get back to it later....