Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Winter Walk

Real Name
    Andrew

Winter Walk

Any suggestions would be welcome. I like it, but I don't love it, and I want to love it.

Thanks!!

Winter Walk

Real Name
    Homer

Re: Winter Walk

Here's my $0.02:

- Crop out the building to the left

- Remove the heavy overhead wires (you could do the one to the left of 'Charles St. too, but I didn't because my healing brush is not very good)

- Remove the oval purse badge

- Adjust contrast and brightness to emphasize the snow a bit

- Keep the two people on the left as they make a nice triangle with the light polls

I'd be proud of it.

Winter Walk

Here is my $0.02:

I agree with Mr. Homer on everything,.. except the crop.

Do not crop the building on the left. It naturally frames the shot, and allows for 1x1 ratio (which in my mind is a good thing). Instead - MAYBE erase the letters on the vertical sign. With halves of the letters visible - I just get stuck looking at it, trying to figure out what it says.
    MAYBE - try some sharpening - to bring out the texture of the concrete in front - for the contrast with the snow and other fuzzy "elements".

P.S. Andrew, almost forgot to mention: I think it's quite lovable already. I believe you'll love it a lot when you are "done" with it.
    Last edited by vladimir; 1st February 2012 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Added P.S.

Real Name
    Mal

I'm with Vladimir. I think it's better with the building in the photo framing the left side.

For me, I think after looking at it a few times today is that as good a photo as it is, the series of lamp posts in the middle of the photo dominates the shot as much as the person and the dog in the foreground. On top of what the others have suggested, (and if you're up for this), I'd also suggest toning down the blacks of the lamp posts so they aren't as dominating in the photo.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone! I was playing with it last night, BEFORE I read any of these great comments, and after some creative frustration, I came up with this:
    Winter Walk
    Does this work at all??? I am going to try the other suggestions today. I don't want to waste too much time on this photo, but something about keeps drawing me.

How about a bit of compromise here, Andrew?

For me, those upper lines crossing the street have to go. They make the whole scene too 'top heavy'. But keep the left side building more or less as it is.

And for a simple way out, my first try with this image, would be to simply crop away those wires and use a different width/height ratio.

I suspect this will concentrate more on the person and dog but without losing the overall street scene.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks for the input everyone! Back to the drawing board!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew76 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! Back to the drawing board!
    But not exactly 'back to square one' though, Andrew.

We are merely discussing slight variations to a potentially excellent scene.

Real Name
    Mal

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    But not exactly 'back to square one' though, Andrew.

We are merely discussing slight variations to a potentially excellent scene.
    Absolutely.

Andrew - did you actually manage to figure out what was stopping YOU from loving the scene after all of our banter?

Real Name
    Andrew

Well, you've all made great suggestions, and I've tried several more edits, so it's growing on me. I can't put my finger on exactly what it is that I don't like about it. But it's not perfect. And maybe that's it. Maybe it's just a picture that won't be 'the one'. And I'm OK with that. I'll just keep shooting until I get one! I'm out tomorrow for a hike with the family, and we'll see what we gets!

Thanks for your help everyone!