Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The London Eye at Night

Real Name
    Phil Dawson

The London Eye at Night

Took this photo whilst in London last week

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phildawson1335/6781144743/
    Last edited by phildawson1335; 30th January 2012 at 08:41 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: The London Eye at Night

Hi Phil,

It makes our response easier if you post inline

The London Eye at Night

My thoughts?
    Quite a nice composition and good exposure (the stars are a nice bonus), but suffering from a wide angle lens having been pointed upwards to get it all in - this has led to the distortion very noticeable on the right.

This could be corrected in many image editing programs quite easily, which do you use? (or have)

Cheers,

Real Name
    Phil Dawson

Hi Dave

thanks for your comments.. i do have photoshop & elements, but i've used neither in this photo so far.. (not had enough time and not to sure where to start)

I've only just started taking long exposures, but i love the outcome

Phil

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by phildawson1335 View Post
    Hi Dave

thanks for your comments.. i do have photoshop & elements, but i've used neither in this photo so far.. (not had enough time and not to sure where to start)

Phil
    Not too difficult;

The London Eye at Night

First straighten it (get a vertical building edge in centre of image vertical - judge this by using the grid)
    Then correct the distortion with Transform > Perspective (checking across entire frame against the grid)
    Crop to deal with sloping edges
    Clone in some sky top right (to avoid excessive crop)

Because of the necessary straightening, I have lost a bit too much foreground than would have been ideal.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 30th January 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Quote Originally Posted by phildawson1335 View Post
    Hi Dave

Phil
    Hi Phil

Nice image. The lighting and colour effect in the wheel itself works very well.

I agree, long exposures at night can be fun.

Dave

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Because of the necessary straightening, I have lost a bit too much foreground than would have been ideal.
    A beautiful night shot, Phil!

Hi Dave, a fascinating post processing exercise. You might be able to accomplish this using Edit/Transform/Skew without losing any of the foreground as you can control the left and right sides independently with Skew.

Real Name
    Chris

Beautiful shot.

Real Name
    Natalie

Beautiful colors in this. I need to try some long exposures, need to find something interesting like this. I also use skew or even warp sometimes to "fix" parts of the image where "perspective" will cut off sections as it did at the bottom.
    Question: are you getting the same spots on all your images where the stars are? I was wondering if the "stars" were stars or missing pixels....my old camera started showing white pixels from dead spots on the sensor......just a thought. They may be stars, in which case, wonderful!!

Real Name
    Phil Dawson

Thanks to everyone for the positive feedback, it will certainly encourage me to do more.. Nat, it was a very clear night last monday and I would like to think that these are stars and not missing pixels in a camera that I bought myself just before christmas, but if it is missing pixels, i had better stick to night shots..lol
    Phil

Real Name
    Natalie

You don't have to stick to night shots if it is missing pixels in the sensor, but I just meant check your other shots to see if the "stars" are in them, too. Then if it IS missing pixels, you might have to exchange your camera if it was bought new....But they can be easily cloned out of shots IF it is missing pixels. Just trying to help, as I had this problem and didn't know it. I really do like the shot.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Dave, a fascinating post processing exercise. You might be able to accomplish this using Edit/Transform/Skew without losing any of the foreground as you can control the left and right sides independently with Skew.
    Yes, I did start off with that intent, but I find the wheel itself is very difficult to get right by eye, even against a grid, it never seems to be vertical (nor the axle horizontal)

So rather than get it wrong (I tried twice), I resorted to something I knew would give me a sensible answer, by rotating against the centre then setting the perspective across the building walls and windows from mid left to full right.

Cheers,