Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Race to Finish Line...

Real Name
    Gurvinder

The Race to Finish Line...

Hi All,
    I am posting a very heavily edited image that I did not wish to lose and hardly had any chance of re-shooting...
    C & C is welcome...
    Please do opine if one should get SO possessive, rather obsessive, of an image that one goes to extremes to salvage it?
    And also, if, without looking at the original, the processed image looks 'artificial'?

Edited

SOOC

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Re: The Race to Finish Line...

hmmmm... I TOTALLY overlooked the horizon...

Here is another edit on the same....

Last edited by gurvinder77; 30th January 2012 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Correction of horizon...

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Well done, Gurvinder. You spotted the very obvious flaw before anyone else got in to point it out.

As to your question: "Please do opine if one should get SO possessive, rather obsessive, of an image that one goes to extremes to salvage it?"

Yes!

It is, of course, only a decision that the photographer can make. How important is the image? How committed to creating this image is the photographer? How useful is it to the photographer to spend the time on the image?

But there are most definitely times when one spends a great deal of time in post-processing over an image.

Real Name
    Mal

I agree whole heartedly. If it's important to you it's worth salvaging.

I don't have the skills to post process to the extent you have in this shot but I think you've done an excellent job. You wouldn't have known at all that there was a car in the original or that the garage on the left had an extension. I think perhaps the only thing left to do is clone out the little white bits on the grass (I think they're flowers but I had to look pretty closely to tell). Not sure that they add anything to your photo.

Pretty awesome!
    Especially after the horizon correction
    Reminds me of the most expensive photo in the world somehow

On the closer look, however... some lines on the right of the right goose don't quite connect with the lines on the left of the right goose. And the shade from the plant on the garage door could look even more natural. Consider mirror image of the left side of that door.

All in all, though - pretty awesome! Ah, I already said that...

On the possessive/obsessive question - I am in total agreement with Donald and Mal. Periodically I spend weeks on some of my pictures.

Real Name
    Gurvinder

Thanks Donald, for kind and encouraging words!

As Mal has pointed out, those white spots are small flowers. They look much better on the full size photo, and even the gravel shines quite nicely. This 'dullness' has got something to do with re-sizing the image..

I did visit the link Vladimir has posted about the most expensive photograph, it is quite flattering if this reminds of that in any way... I do agree with you, Vladimir, that there are some flaws with editing, and I hope to learn to improve my skills...

Thank you all, for your time...