The Puddle

Hi, Tried LR/Enfuse & LAB Color.
    The Puddle
    Thanks for looking
    Russ

Real Name
    ruby

Re: The Puddle

That's as nice a shot of a mud puddle as I've seen. My husband says, "Photography makes almost anything interesting". He'll be glad to know there are at least two of you

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Good one, Russ.

In terms of composition, I found myself wondering if you had the option of taking 2 or 3 steps to the right and then aiming the camera slightly more left. Why?

Well, I fell that we have that left-hand-edge of the puddle making a straight line up to the old tree trunk, but the ground to the left of the edge of the puddle isn't really that interesting. If you have taken that different shooting angle, it would have:
    a) taken the edge of the puddle closer to the edge of the frame and,
    b) put that tree trunk more into the image, perhaps onto the vertical third (rule of thirds) at the left.

All of that would, in turn, have moved the mountains over towards the right-hand 'third' and given a balance to the tree trunk.

Just a thought.

Real Name
    Steve

You've got several good elements, here - interesting tree, clouds above, reflected clouds, water, mountains in the distance. Which one is the main element? My eyes are drawn to the blown-out sky, so cropping (in the camera, or in post-processing) or HDR would help. I agree with Donald about moving to the right - where is the rest of the puddle?

Beautiful area - I'd like to see more!

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Good one, Russ.

In terms of composition, I found myself wondering if you had the option of taking 2 or 3 steps to the right and then aiming the camera slightly more left. Why?

Well, I fell that we have that left-hand-edge of the puddle making a straight line up to the old tree trunk, but the ground to the left of the edge of the puddle isn't really that interesting. If you have taken that different shooting angle, it would have:
    a) taken the edge of the puddle closer to the edge of the frame and,
    b) put that tree trunk more into the image, perhaps onto the vertical third (rule of thirds) at the left.

All of that would, in turn, have moved the mountains over towards the right-hand 'third' and given a balance to the tree trunk.

Just a thought.
    Thanks Donald, Will have to wait now for more rain as dries up fast here but will go back.
    Russ

Real Name
    Russell

Quote Originally Posted by sstracke View Post
    You've got several good elements, here - interesting tree, clouds above, reflected clouds, water, mountains in the distance. Which one is the main element? My eyes are drawn to the blown-out sky, so cropping (in the camera, or in post-processing) or HDR would help. I agree with Donald about moving to the right - where is the rest of the puddle?

Beautiful area - I'd like to see more!
    Thanks for the input Steve, blown out sky in parts was always going to be even with a 0.9 NDG towards the sun,
    Russ

Real Name
    John

I particularly like the alien like root formation.