Thread: Which printer?

Real Name
    Charles

Which printer?

There's a new thread, "which camera do you use?". A bit silly really, 'though a bit of fun, as it is far more important who is behind the camera than what the camera is. Many previous threads support this view. However, I believe that there is a tremendous difference between printers.
    I have just splashed out on an Epson PX730WD (Artisan 730 in USA) to replace my defunct Epson Photosmart R800, particularly because of the reviews regarding print quality, and also because the included scanner and Airmail features will be useful. And it can be bought here in the UK for less than £125. But what printer do YOU use, and why? Do you ever wish you you had something different from what you have? What about ink? Does anybody use CISS?

Re: Which printer?

Hi,
    I use an HP Photosmart Premium printer. However, when I want a quick print that would be cheap I go to the local drug-store and have it printed for about $.30. Still need a printer for other business and home functions.
    Tim

Real Name
    John

I have an HP photosmart 7660 that is about eight years old and still functioning. I recently had a chance to compare its output with my local camera store, forgot to ask them what they were using, and the quality of each were identical. My only regret is that it can only print up to 8.5"x11".

Real Name
    Peter

I have an Epson 1400 A3+ printer...it also prints Dvd`s

Real Name
    Chris

I've had a number of Ink Jet printers (A4 and A3) and all of them gum up due to lack of use, because most of my printing is on colour lasers. I've given up trying to keep an ink jet going for the odd photograph I want to print and now go to Boots for run-of-the-mill stuff and my local Graphic Printer for anything bigger than 6 x 4

Real Name
    Dan

I use Canon printers with dye-based inks. Recently got the Pixma Pro 9000 II. I know that most people use pigment-ink printers because of longer print longevity. However, I print very erratically. I may print a bunch during one week and then have no time to print for several months. My earlier Canon dye-ink printer has been treated that way for about 4 years and has never clogged or needed a head cleaning. (Also, Canon heads are user-replaceable, just in case.) So I decided that for my purposes, shorter longevity of prints is a price I'm willing to pay to have trouble-free printing when I want it. (More expensive Canon printers use pigment inks.)

Currently using an Epson R1900 which works OK although, like every Epson which I have had, ink clog is just one of those facts of life which have to be endured. Relatively easy to auto clean though.

Previously used a Canon 9000 which also worked fine and never clogged. But it died after a couple of years. Ink head leakage problems. I never previously heard anything about Canon heads being easily changeable so I just ditched it.

Average life from a printer, with average usage, seems to be around 3 years for me. And in each case, print head leakage has been the cause.

I also recently got a Pixma Pro 9000 Mark II for similar reasons as Dan K. Initially, I considered going to Epson Photo printers but given my low level of usage, the Canon dye-based inks won over the Epson pigment-based inks. And besides, the longevity studies show that using the Canon inks with Canon paper will last a lot longer than I will.

Hi
    I have the Epson 2100 7 color printer,this is an excellent machine for using with Mat papers not so good on gloss due to the Bronsing effect on some papers,i use a MARRUT CISS ink supply and inks, really high quality stuff and you can make HUGE savings and the reproduction is exibition standard ,they are great to deal with and i have been sent my personal color profile for the machine/ink /paper combo,my Black and White has a full range of tones with no clor cast,it is worth starting off on the right foot other wise printing can be a very frustrating and expensive exercise. Good luck for the future.

Real Name
    Mark Limin

I use two Epson Printers
    The R1900 and the R2400
    I have never had ink clog (thank god ) Would I buy another Epson yes
    The 2400 is great for printing on canvas
    I use only original epson ink I fond the colour is better than anything local printers can do

Real Name
    Neil

Still using an Epson 1290 see no reason to change as with Epson Ink the prints it produces are superb

Real Name
    Steve Owen

Canon Pixma ix6520, small home/office large format printer. Bought after going through several, consumer grade printers. Reasoning something built for heavier service, would be somewhat more heavy duty.