Thread: Shooting at an indoor roller rink

Shooting at an indoor roller rink

My granddaughter wants me to take pictures at her roller skating party and i am not sure what my best choices are to capture the best shots.
    Equipment available: Nikon d300s and d60. Lenses: 18-55, 18-200, 50, 200-500. Tripod
    I've been shooting just about everything with the 18-200, but am not sure that is the right choice for this venue.
    Any suggestions for best choice of equipment and settings to capture freeze action, blurred action and just good photos. Won't have a lot of time to take "test" shots.

Real Name
    John

Re: Shooting at an indoor roller rink

Grab a few in AUTO or sports mode right off the bat. You'll get at least a few with less hassle. Then go to S mode because you will definitely want to freeze a few shots and have selective blur in others. In aperture mode you may want to open it up if you want to blur the background. if you are in low light setting you will want to increase your ISO a bit which will speed up your shooting time. The tripod will probably restrict your movement unless you are shooting portraits. The 18-200 is probably your best bet, you won't have to change the lens much to cover the focal range of anything else you own. Have fun.
    Last edited by Shadowman; 28th January 2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added text.

Real Name
    Martyn

you havent mentioned if you are going to use a flash ? if you are then i agree that the 18-200 is a good all rounder,try various settings and dont be afraid to exeriment, quite a few people use rear curtain sync combined with a slow shutter speed to give weird effects with movement shots,you could also try just using balanced fill flash depending on the conditions,
    try panning on a slowish shutter (1/125 or less),this should get your subject in focus whilst blurring everything else,i tend to pan at 1/60th and although i dont get many keepers the odd ones that work come out really well, it sounds like it will be fun,cheers martyn

Thanks a bunch Shadowmanand Nomadr? I'm sure your tips will help me get great shots. Oh yes. I will be using a flash? Looking forward to sharing the pics.