Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: "aging" Plowhorse photo

Real Name
    Natalie

"aging" Plowhorse photo

I took some shots last spring at an event to showcase the old fashioned way farmers used to plow the land. Although the horses and the gear looked old and authentic, the guys working the horses could have made more effort to look the part. So....I did a couple of edits....tell me what you think...any advice welcome.

Original Shot
    "aging" Plowhorse photo

Aged version
    "aging" Plowhorse photo

Original shot
    "aging" Plowhorse photo

Aged version
    "aging" Plowhorse photo

Real Name
    Myra

Re: "aging" Plowhorse photo

It all works for me except the hat. It is quite a bit darker than the rest of the photo in each. Other than that, I think you've done a great job

Real Name
    Natalie

Thanks, Myra...funny, I made a last lightening adjustment on each hat just before I uploaded them, maybe not enough, LOL!
    Lightened the hats...
    "aging" Plowhorse photo

"aging" Plowhorse photo
    Last edited by Nat; 27th January 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Real Name
    John

Nice series.

Real Name
    Wendy

Great work Nat, I really like what you've done with these.

Good eye Myra, I would not have noticed the dark hats until you mentioned them, but they look much better now

Wendy

Real Name
    Myra

Nat, I love these photos. I truly do. But... the second hat now looks green on my screen. Gremlins! The switch up of the backgrounds in the first is beautiful. Did you take the second farm scene, too? Also, the perspective you used for the mules is so effective. It looks like they are about to walk right out of the screen.

Those out of character clothing problems are something which always makes me grit my teeth at these vintage tractor/horse events.

If a few contestants can wear 'authentic' looking clothes why aren't baseball caps and modern advertising shirts banned because of the disruption they cause.

In most cases it would only take some boiler suits (coveralls) and a straw or leather hat, even a flat cap would work fine.

OK, I don't expect every farmer to wear 'gaiters' but please, make a little bit of effort.

At my local show, they have working events in the field adjacent to the main show ring so it is usually possible to find some good angles without modern backgrounds.

But, enough of moaning, so let's return to these excellent photos. Those readjusted hats look fine now, Nat.

Real Name
    Natalie

Thank you all. Yes, I took the background farm shot used in the conversion. I had to edit out a car and a few other more modern things at the farm scene. I agree, Geoff, I feel if you are going to participate, it would not take a whole lot of effort to get hold of the right clothes. I sent the organization a note about it, they didn't even bother to reply to me. Ah, well.