Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Still standing

Real Name
    Gary

Still standing

I like this tree for a couple of reasons. On the one one hand it looks a bit battered and bruised, on the other there is a certain majesty about which says 'Hey I'm still standing!'. I invite any comments about composition etc.

Cheers for now

Gary

Still standing

Real Name
    Dave

Re: Still standing

It is a very interesting looking tree and I like the contrast between its tones and the grass, but find the background distracting. I keep looking at the hillside and my eye is drawn down the slope to the left and out of the photo.

A wide aperture may throw the background out of focus, but is it possible to get closer to the tree and get a shot with an uncluttered background? It could look good in B&W and close up shots could also work, but appreciate that sometimes we limited in where we can photograph.

Dave

Real Name
    Gary

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your comments. All valid ones. I can see what you mean about the background and the slope.
    Unfortunately, it is all fenced off around the area and I am a bit frustrated that I cannot get closer. I have a Canon G2 and that was about the limit of the telephoto. Its one of those places that there might be a public footpath but not well signposted. I will have to check the OS map.

Cheers for now

Gary

For me, Gary, the problem is that area of blue sky and the dropping skyline which is distracting. I would try a crop at a 5 x 4 ratio to remove the left edge. In fact I would also consider using 4 x 5 as an alternative.

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks Geoff for your comment. I will take some more time and have a look at the images again with the comments that have been suggested.

Thanks

Gary

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Gary,

Taking Geoff's idea further, I'd definitely consider this for a crop of fully 40% of the width from the left hand edge, giving a portrait orientation shot where;
    the tree is dominant
    the slope is gone
    the tree is leaning into, not out of, the shot

Further, to separate from the background, it may need some selective sharpening and/or local contrast enhancement applied just to the tree (in all its many parts)

Might need to clone out the distracting framework thing in the back too.
    Also possibly shave a bit off the bottom edge too.

Great subject, well spotted.

Hope that helps,

Real Name
    Gary

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I think that the basic issue is as the comments have suggested and that is that the tree is not the main subject. Portrait does seem to be a better option. But, I agree with the other Dave's comment about getting closer to it, to achieve a better image. In fact all the comments have made me rethink the whole process of shooting that sort of subject,

Its a big learning curve trying to pull all the elements together, camera, composition etc. to make a good image. But, a very interesting one!

Cheers for now

Gary