Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Opteka Camera Bag?

Real Name
    Richard

Opteka Camera Bag?

Does anyone have any experience with the OPTEKA line of camera bags? I know they are made in China but, that doesn't immediately disqualify them.

I almost bought a used Domke F2 bag which was being sold on Craigslist pretty inexpensively but, it was being sold from a smoking household and I absolutely abhor smoke odor. I have queried the other Dompke bag eBay ads to learn if they are from smoking enviromnents.

I would be safe with a new bag but, new Domke F2 bags run $140 (USD) and the larger model which I really want is $180 (USD). That is a little rich for my blood.

This bag runs $69 (USD) with free shipping new on eBay from the same dealer that is selling it for $79 on Amazon. The dealer is reputable.

http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-Excursi.../dp/B004P44DL4

It has some very positive reviews on Amazon....

Anyone have any ideas?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Opteka Camera Bag?

Sorry, Richard, I have no experience of this manufacturer.

The reviews on Amazon feel genuine enough and are very positive. I'd certainly be willing to buy on the strength of these.

Real Name
    Chris

Most everything I've purchased from Opteka via amazon, i've had to send back due to poor craftsmanship.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by MiniChris View Post
    Most everything I've purchased from Opteka via amazon, i've had to send back due to poor craftsmanship.
    Chris - I wonder if it would help Richard and others if you were able to expand on this. What products? What sort of deficiencies did you find?

Real Name
    Richard

I selected this bag...

Every time I have tried to go cheap in my photo equipment purchases, I have regretted it. So instead of the OPTEK camera bag, I decided to get this DOMKE bag which I found used on eBay at a decent price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350518978409...84.m1423.l2649

It is more than I intended to pay but, I got the bag that I wanted and won't be disappointed. It is used and heavily discounted but, I have been assured that it has not come from a smoking environment and that it is in excellent shape. I know that DOMKE bags are good quality and will most likely last longer than I will.

Here is a review of the bag.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ight=domke+F-7

It appears that this is just what I want. BTW: I don't sually carry the bag around when I am shootng. I use a Domke Photo Vest and carry my cameras on an OPTECH Double HARNESS. The bag is basically to transport my gear.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 25th January 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Good News, Bad News and Good News

Good News: The Domke camera bag I ordered arrived and is was in pristine shape...

Bad News: I tried to load my gear and it wouldn't fit like I thought it should. I thought "Boy, I blew it selecting this camera bag!"

Good News: I looked at the label hidden inside the bag and they sent me the Domke F2 which is a smaller and less expensive bag than the F7 I wanted. That's why my gear won't fit! I had purchased it from a company called BLINQ which sells both on their own website and on eBay. I sent BLINQ an email late last night and got a reply first thing this morning. They are sending me a RMA authorization with a FEDEX label to send back the bag. Since they don't have any F7 bags in stock, they are giving me a full refund for the cost of the bag and for shipping. I will also get a 10% discount off my next purchase.

I would have no hesitation ordering from them in the future. This was a slight PITA but, at least, I am not out any money...

BTW: The Domke F2 camera bag is made extremely well. I have a Domke Photo Vest and it is also of great construction. The Domke products are pretty pricey but, they are super! However, I balk at paying $200 for a new F7 bag. I will just use my ratty no-name bag until I find a used F7 at a decent price...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 31st January 2012 at 05:20 PM.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Good News, Bad News and Good News

During my trip to the Chinese New Year Parade, I realized that I needed a bag to carry my gear. Normally when shooting locally, I just hang my cameras on an OPTECH Dual Harness and keep the rest of the gear in my photo vest. However, on that trip, I rode a bus since it was easier parking wise and actually cheaper in cost. But it was uncomfortable spensing a couple of hours on a bus with my cameras balanced on my lap. I wanted a bag that could fit my two bodies with lenses attached and a flash or two. I have a Lowepro backpack but, do not like backpacks...

After a lot of research, I have selected a Tenba Black Label Photo Sachel, Large.
    http://www.tenba.com/products/Black-...o-Satchel.aspx

This was on sale at my local Calumet Photo store for quite a bit below any Internet price. Even after paying the California State Sales Tax, the bottom line price at Caumet was about 25% lower than the botom line at any Internet site. I really likebuying at a local shop if the price is decent. That way I get to actually look at the item I want instead of relying on Internet ads and reviews.

It was good that I could actually touch the Temba Large Photo Satchel before buying it. I was able to test the fit with my camera gear. I can fit my 7D with 70-200mm f/4L IS lens mounted as well as my 40D with 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens mounted and still have room for flash and extra accessories. The cameras with lenses mounted fit vertically in the bag. Although the Tenba illustration shows the camera fitting in the bag with the long side of the camera body parallel to the long side of the bag, I found that I can easily fit each camera so that the long side fits across the bag with one camera at each end of the bag. That leaves a space in the center for a flash and perhaps a wide angle lens.

Now it is time to visit eBay and sell off the several bags I have accumulated over the years.
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 7th February 2012 at 02:45 AM.