Thread: experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . part 2 (different photos)

Real Name
    Kathy

experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . part 2 (different photos)

This is part 2 from my earlier post.

My goal with these photo's are to try to take sharper photo's with my camera, so please ignore the composition I just went out and shot objects in my back yard. The only editing I did with these photo's was some auto toning in Lightroom. I do know that I can make them sharper when I edit, just wanted feedback before I did that.

I can not do any adjustments on my camera except change the ISO and the other settings such as "Landscape, portrait, ect." In the auto mode I do have the choices of changing my white balance, ISO, image quality, color options, white balance and macro. I know my camera has limitations but I want to shoot the best quality photos with the equipment that I have. My camera is A Nikon Coolpix L120. I have not been happy lately with the sharpness of my photos.

Please tell me if you think these are quality photo's in the sharpness category.

I used a tripod and the self timer on my camera, my settings are as follows.

Auto MOde
    ISO setting - 80
    Quality Image - 14m (with a star above it)
    Color Option - Vivid
    White Balance - Auto

The last photo was taken with the macro mode. Your help is greatly appreciated!

experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . part 2 (different photos)

macro mode

Real Name
    Eugen

Re: experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . part 2 (different pho

Hi Kathy,

I see absolutely nothing wrong in terms of sharpness - whatever is in focus IT IS sharp.
    Regarding the use of a tripod to get sharper photos: the use of a tripod will translate in sharper photos when the exposure time is big enough to allow camera movement. If the timer is - let's say - 250ms, then taking the shot handheld or using a tripod won't matter at all because you will get the same result.
    A tripod will really shine when the lighting conditions are bad and camera movement/shake is likely to occur.
    I don't know what camera you do have but I can give you some tips about shooting handheld and avoiding motion blur.
    - if your camera has stabilization, use it
    - if your camera allows you to focus when pressing the shutter button halfway then you can do the following:
    * point the camera toward your subject
    * zoom in/out to get your desired composition
    * press shutter button halfway to allow focus ... and Keep It There (half pressed) to get the correct focus
    * fully press the shutter button to take the photo
    - when using a tripod, if you still find your images being "moved" or not so sharp - try using not the shutter button directly but using the timer delay (I'm pretty sure your camera has that). That way, you will press the button once and the timer will start ticking and after 10 seconds your photo would be taken (those 10 seconds will be more than enough to eliminate any vibrations)

Also, you can best notice sharpness in photos with alot of contrast - try photographing a clock face (not a digital but a classic one) and see what results you get.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: experimenting with tripod, trying to get sharper photos . . part 2 (different pho

Thank you so much for all of your great advice Eugen! I do not have a dslr, I have a Nikon Coolpix L120 . . . my goal is to learn how to shoot good quality crisp photo's with the equipment that I have. I am inexperienced and trying to learn as much as I can and your advice will certainly help me. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my post it is very much appreciated!!

Kathy

Real Name
    Eugen

No problem Kathy
    If my advices could help you even a little bit I would be more than happy

Real Name
    Wayne

Well done!
    Since you do have the option of adjusting the ISO, you may want to try and increase that while in Auto. That may or may not increase your sharpness: The automatic mode may decide to use a faster shutter speed, in which case you will se no advantage since you are on a tripod anyway.

It really depends on how the Auto mode is programmed, and how it responds to various light levels. In pretty bright conditions, Auto will probably pick a faster shutter speed, but it may also have to go to a smaller aperture to prevent over-exposure. In the latter case, you will get a greater depth of field. This does not really increase your sharpness, but your rusty cans, e.g., will appear sharper front to back since the in-focus range has been stretched.

As a general tactic, the landscape mode will put the camera into a smaller aperture, thereby stretching the range of apparent sharpness (or "depth of field").

There's another way you can tweak the sharpness. Try focusing not at the nearest part of the cans, but a little ways farther. If you are focused right up front, some of your depth of field will be wasted.

Good luck!

Real Name
    Kathy

Wayne,

Thanks for the tip on the Landscape mode, I did not realize it put the camera into a smaller aperture. Thanks for reading my post, I really appreciate it.

Kathy

Real Name
    Mal

And on that note, Macro mode adjust the depth of field to around a middle aperture - f9 or so and adjusts the shutter speed to lighting conditions.