Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: bw hdr conversion LR4 vs ASP

Real Name
    Ken Outch

bw hdr conversion LR4 vs ASP

Okay, so this is probably not where this should be posted. But hey, this is my preferred watering hole, where all my favourite drinking mates hang out, and being a creature of habit...
    So, here is a base shot of a cactus flower, raw data, 3 bracketed exposures and then HDR rendered via PS. This was then turned to b&w and sharpened using either of the30 day free trial versions of Adobe LR4 and Corel AfterShot Pro. Trying to decide which version to buy. Adobe will be around $300AUD and Corel wants $99AUD for its product. Pros and cons for each, I have found
    Okay so maybe you reckon I need to get a life. But I would be most appreciative of any feed back on this. At the moment I find ASP easier to use and quick to open files. Its saving process is a bit messy. But It will not recover anywhere near the clipped detail one can recover using LR4, which is brilliant. A couple of us have found LR4 applied to a single exposure recovers clipped data far better than when HDR bracketing is used. Worked wonders on a well blown snow drift! So much so I have decided to give HDR the flick if I go with LR4. Anyone want to buy some slightly used HDR treatises? LOL
    Okay, enough with the rambling Time to take my tablets and have a senior snooze! LOL
    Thanks for viewing
    Old ucci

Corel AfterShot Pro

Adobe LR4

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: bw hdr conversion LR4 vs ASP

As you use PS to work the image, what about the plug-in Nik Silver Efex Pro 2 to convert into B&W a lot better than LR and cheaper, applies as a mask and can be used as a smart layer in CS5 and if I am correct 4 also.

Allan

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Hi Allan
    Thanks for useful feed back. Yes it probably would do as you say. But I am not familiar with this programme. And is it as versatile as LR?
    Ken

Real Name
    Allan Short

I would suggest you check out their web site Nik Software, Silver Efex Pro is a programe that converts colour images to B&W and gives you a great amount of control in the finished image.

Allan