Thread: How was this done?

Real Name
    Sue Block

How was this done?

Hullo

I have just returned from Namibia with some photographs of Elephants and Zebras.

I cam across www.bobbiegoodrich.com/ website and she has done wonderful backgrounds and blurring of backgrounds to create ghost-like effects on her Zebra photographs

Would it be possible for someone to provide tips how these are done?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mario

Re: How was this done?

Hello.

The background of the first picture has been partially replaced with an uniform black and then blurred. The background of the second picture has been strongly blurred in the vertical direction and minimally (If at all) in the horizontal direction, plus irregular darkening around the borders and edges. I don't know what do you mean by "ghosts", maybe it's the glare around the zebras; I think that can be done by adding a blurred copy of them.

I don't like these pictures. They seem like a failed attempt to make something outstanding by using over the top impressionistic post processing rather than making a naturally beautiful and impressive picture. The pictures resemble in character bad HDR/tonemapping in this regard. Imagine the pictures without those effect, nothing the average tourist won't snapshot.
    Last edited by Photon Hacker; 22nd January 2012 at 02:55 AM.

Real Name
    Alan Pezzulich

In addition to what Mario said it look like a bleach bypass filter was used to reduce color and then the pictures were tinted.

Alan

Real Name
    Hazel

First I need to be honest and state plainly that I'm no expert. I still respond to images with a basic 'I do/don't like it'. These make me think 'fake'. I get the same emotional response from some of the very intense HDR images I see sometimes. I can't imagine choosing to spend time to change one of my images in this way - though I do occasionally play at altering what I actually shot.

Sue welcome to CiC, looking threw Bobbies' site, the blurs are to add an artistic touch. The process goes something like this:
    Open image in GIMP, Photoshop, Paint.net. Layer>Duplicate Image layer > Filters>Blur (choose which you like best). Once blurred add a layer mask. Next paint back in the main body of subject, leaving the edges slightly blurred. (I think that is the ghost effect you are talking about)
    Here is a quick example of a Google image I grabbed to edit
    Original:
    How was this done?
    Gaussian Blur and painted in subject:
    How was this done?
    Same but with Warming filter(orange levels upped):
    How was this done?
    Warming filter, with Box Blur:
    How was this done?

Hope that is helpful
    Thanks
    Ryo
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 24th January 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

Being no expert, I believe the 2nd picture had a layer duplicated with a vertical motion blur added, then masked and the zebras painted back in.
    I have experimented with something similar, and every experiment ended in file 13. It looks just too fake. It occasionally works for nature photography, but never for portraits or animal shots.
    Ryo, The original looks the best - by far.
    The blurs are just too exaggerated, IMHO.

Real Name
    Graham Heron

I agree with the possible technique used.
    I also agree with the majority that the effect is not pleasant.
    HOWEVER, I've done a couple of portraits for people (ballroom dance) where they LIKED the effect and I had to go along with their wishes (aarrgghhhh!!!!!!!!).
    I have noticed a change in my likes dislikes since I got back into photography seriously. But I also have to remember that most people aren't exposed to as many pics as I am (and most of the people here). C'est la vie.
    I suppose it depends on who you want to impress with your pics, other photographers or the paying public. I'm still trying to find common ground

Graham

Real Name
    Bobo

She may be using variations of the Orton Effect that I was playing with a while back.
    Orton Effect

More about that here -
    http://www.photography.ca/blog/2009/...arwin-wiggett/

Real Name
    Sue Block

Thanks everyone for your responses. A special thanks to Ryo for the trouble he has taken to provide a tutorial.

I agree I am not too fond of the blur with the Zebras , but I like the finished product for the Leopards..

I use Lightroom and Nik software . Thought I could experiment with Nik Software Color Efex 4 filters to achieve similar outcomes. What do you think?

Sue